changing back brakes. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 26th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Roger Ramjet
1985 "90" no defender's back then.
changing back brakes.

I have an early European defender with rear drums. I know I can get the parts to make it discs in the back, but is this a huge job and is it best to not change what isn't broken?

Old December 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Jeff Briggs
Antarctic Blue Super Sports Wagon
Site Team
The 'hardest' part of the swap is procuring and welding on the the calliper brackets. Its going to be easier to swap the whole axle assembly with a disco.

Old December 26th, 2010, 10:27 PM
D Cantrell
1997 D90SW
Would an axle form a 97 Disco work?
Still waiting for the Hope and Change to start
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi
I think the only problem (For me at least) is that a disco axle isn't strong enough for a 110 fully laden. Them brackets shouldn't be that expensive? Anyone has some for sale? My rear brakes (Drums) never operated well and I'm a bit tire trying set them up... I still have enough meat on the band to make it 'till summer. Then I might go the disc road..
Younger, we pointed the lad I now became.
Old December 27th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Dave Lucas
The person that posted has a 90" so a disco axle would be fine and an easy swap.
Old December 27th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'93 NAS110 #463
D-90 Source Vendor
Caliper brackets are readily available and not that expensive ($100each from RN and RDS - part number FTC3306). Then you just need new shafts, stub axles, hubs, discs ,and calipers. It's an easy swap, but can be expensive once you add up all the parts. If you can get your hands on a Disco rear axle most of those parts will swap over. There are a few people who have done this swap and there is an entire thread here:

"The most unreliable car in the world is the most reliable car in the world." -Jeremy Clarkson refering to the Range Rover

Wolf Fabrication
Semper Fi!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, brake