Changing a functioning fuel pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:24 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Changing a functioning fuel pump

Thanks to some chuckle-head drunk driver, I'm going to be a recent recipient of a new rear-crossmember, gratis. Trucks got 78k on the odo, I haven't looked through all the past maint records yet, but don't think its had a new fuel pump.

Should I change it out even though its working fine while the tank is down to avoid the headache later? I can probably convince the LR body shop guys to let me take the tank for a one day conjugal visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Change the pump? Probably not. Could go either way. Cut out an access panel in the floor while the tank is dropped. Definitely.
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:29 PM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Yea i've seen the access panels, and although I acknowledge that it is a great solution, my rig has been heretofor unmolested, and I would like to keep it that way. I know its one of those instances where it can go tomorrow or in 200k miles, I just saw an opportunity to avoid doing yet again another project by myself with no one to help me, under a truck that I can't raise up more than 4 inches w/o taking it out of my garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes, change the pump. Average life of an electric fuel pump is 100K miles. It's too easy not to do it now while you have easy access...and it's 17 years old.
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:52 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
Agreed in the change. If your tank is dropped, replace the pump. It much easier than turning the key and not hearing the pump prime. At a minimum, I would clean up all the metal connection to the pump as mine were pretty gnarly in my 94 with 87k mikes and a lot of WVA clay
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:33 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

Yes on the pump as well and I would also check the rear suspension ball joint to see if it needs to be replaced while the tank is out of the way.
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Yup, change it and keep the old one as a spare.
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:22 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Here's my question. Why bother keeping it as a spare. If the new one fails would you really want to go to the trouble of dripping the tank to put an old one in?
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:30 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Change. As for the spare, I have done this so many times(don't ask me why, it's too painful to relive), that I can have it out and back in in about an hour. I could trail fix if I had to. I also chose to go with fuel immersible lines from the pump to the external connections to make swapping easier. At his point though, I wish I had put in an external pump
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:16 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Here's my question. Why bother keeping it as a spare. If the new one fails would you really want to go to the trouble of dripping the tank to put an old one in?
Good logic. But keeping it as a trail or trip spare is a good idea.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel