Changed valley pan gasket -now coolant leak - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 19th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Blreid90
Brian
1995 defender 90

Changed valley pan gasket -now coolant leak

I spent the better part of the day replacing the intake manifold valley gasket and end seals. Also, replaced all hoses. No problems until I filled the coolant. Immediately, I had a coolant leak going along the valley gasket and leaking down off the back of the gasket. There are no hose leaks that I can find. My only guess is a bad gasket, but it looked fine going in.

The leak is not noticeable on the front where the heater return hose is located. No leak on thermostat housing. It appears to be leaking from somewhere else, but not under pressure.

The gasket did not seem to fit perfectly with all of the ports, but I figured once it was all torqued down it would work out. I mean only millimeters off, but that is all I can figure.

BTW- I did it twice after the leak happened the first time. Torqued the head bolts to 28 lb ft and the clamp bolts to 13 lb ft.

1995 d-90 with 3.9 v8. Used the new style valley gasket from Atlantic British part number LKJ500020OE.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2014, 09:46 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

did you pick up the manifold the second time and checked the gasket ? if not then you might have folded the gasket on the end ..where exactly is the water dripping under the car ? check the usual suspects intake ,water pump,timing cover ,heater hoses,heads
Old April 19th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Blreid90
Brian
1995 defender 90

Thanks for the reply. I did remove the manifold and also the gasket. Definitely not folded. I checked all of the normal suspects. Water is collecting on the valley pan gasket and running off the back towards the trans. It does not show up on the front of the gasket and appears to be leaking from somewhere under the manifold. This only leaves the gasket itself but I've never seen that happen.

I did not use any permatex or anything around the coolant ports. I've read to do it either way and the original gasket didn't have any noticeable.

I also checked the heads and every water hose connection for signs of leaks. All I can think of is defective gasket except that it looks fine. . Should I use some right stuff or permatex on the coolant ports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I doubt the gasket is defective.
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:21 PM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

i could tell you in 20+yrs i've haven't had a new intake gasket leak but there's a first for everything, i do use a very small smear of right stuff on the head side if there's some corrosion on the port ....
i would take a good look at the thermostat housing and the coolant pipe just below
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I always use permatex sealant at the coolant ports, both at the head to gasket and gasket to plenum-- did you just dry fit it?
Old April 19th, 2014, 11:32 PM
Blreid90
Brian
1995 defender 90

Thanks. I'll tear it down again in the morning and use some right stuff on the journals. I've ruled out everything that I can find. I suppose I should inspect the manifold for any damage also. There may be a small amount of corrosion on the manifold but I'm surprised at the amount of fluid leaking with no pressure. Thanks again.

There were two versions of the newer style gasket available. Is anyone familiar with the part number I posted? Any chance it's slightly different?
Old April 20th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Actually, I use hylomar (blue) at water journals
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Blreid90
Brian
1995 defender 90

Just an update. Used the hylomar on head and plenum side on the water journals. No water leaks. Thanks for the help.

However, now the fuel line doesn't want to go on straight and its leaking no matter what I do. I think she just wants my attention.
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Grab a beer, and try again tomorrow.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 21st, 2014, 01:13 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I've used right stuff on the valley gasket but I wonder if blue hylomar is better. Generally they use hylomar on the intake plenum where its just exposed to air and fuel, so I don't know if hylomar is the better choice for the water journal where it gets hotter.

Robert Deniro
Old April 21st, 2014, 01:29 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Brian,

Check #15 and #17 from this post.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...24&postcount=2

Also, be sure to use RTV 598 Black Silicone from Loctite (or equal) to do these:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...19&postcount=5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 21st, 2014, 08:51 PM
Blreid90
Brian
1995 defender 90

Thanks. I finished the manifold yesterday. Used the right stuff on the 4 corners of the end seals and hylomar on the 4 coolant journals (head and plenum). The two in the rear are dead ends, but did it anyway. No leaks. Third times a charm.

Quick tip. It is much easier to seat the valley pan gasket (and clean everything) with both valve covers off.

Had my beer last night and tried tackling the fuel leak tonight. the fuel line simply won't seat in the flange connection (on fuel rail) when fully tightened. I've tried everything including sweet talk. Anyone have this problem before? I can certainly find a fuel line and/or fuel rail, but don't feel like buying them. I called RN this morning and they have both. 119 for fuel line and like 400+ for the rail. Is it possible to solder on a new connector to the rail? I believe the 97 uses normal hose/clamp set up which basically means I'd be driving right now.

By the way, the 90 is all original with low miles, so I prefer to keep the original parts. I've seen a lot of new fuel line posts and don't really want to go there.

You guys are awesome by the way. Thanks for putting up with the newbie.
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blreid90 View Post
Quick tip. It is much easier to seat the valley pan gasket (and clean everything) with both valve covers off.
Did you not remove the valve covers last time? As far as I know, you have to remove at least one valve cover to get the intake out. Maybe this is why it leaked the first time.
Old April 21st, 2014, 09:33 PM
Blreid90
Brian
1995 defender 90

I did remove one the first time. However, it was much easier to just remove both. I'm sure it leaked due to the lack of sealant. I've done plenty of intake gaskets and it was the first time I tried dry fitting, but most of the advice I read indicated only using on the end seal corners. Bad mistake.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coolant, gas