Changed the fuel filter (300tdi) car won't run - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Will look into this thanks. I might be interested in a dual setup filtering to 30 micron, then 2 or 5 micron (yes overkill, I'm aware). Who knows maybe if I'm swapping it out I can add a heated element or something too.
There is no point unless you are running very dirty fuel and needing to replace filters a lot. All the pre filter does is extend the life of the final filter. With normal US fuel there would be no point.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I think you are right. I change my 6" 2 micron filter about once a year and I have no issues. Two would be overkill.
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Is there a part # on the Stanadyne FM100 for a straight bolt-on replacement for the 200tdi and 300tdi? Or is there just one style?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Is there a part # on the Stanadyne FM100 for a straight bolt-on replacement for the 200tdi and 300tdi? Or is there just one style?
There is just one style. You have a choice of different port sizes, 3/8" NPT, 1/4" NPT, M12, M14, 1/2UNF.... but the heads are the same. Then choose a filter. I would suggest the 6" 2 micron as it fits and gives the best filtration. You will need to connect the existing fuel tubes to the ports and plug the unused ports (there are 2 inlet and 2 outlet ports). I used the 3/8" NPT style and compression fittings.

Then any accessories you want, although none are "needed".

http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...0Filter%20Head

http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...Fm100%20Filter

Old July 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
There is no point unless you are running very dirty fuel and needing to replace filters a lot. All the pre filter does is extend the life of the final filter. With normal US fuel there would be no point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
I think you are right. I change my 6" 2 micron filter about once a year and I have no issues. Two would be overkill.
Touché, that's why I spitball. I think 1 @ 2 microns would be good though.

Thanks for everybody's help. I'll let you know what I do and post some pics post install.
Old February 5th, 2013, 09:35 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

After going back and forth with Manimal about what he has, I've decided on ordering a Stanadyne FM100.
Can anybody shed some light on the type of ports my existing filter housing has from the picture below?

The housing assembly part Manimal used is -> http://www.thedieselstore.com/templa...s#.UREYGaVkw-0 which has NPTF ports. If looks like where the roundish parts go into my existing filter housing would attach to this but honestly I have no idea...

I can provide as many views of the current setup as needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120714_220205.png
Views:	130
Size:	481.2 KB
ID:	65771  
Old February 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Warning regarding multiple filters...

Multiple filters seem like a good idea in theory, but take a minute to think about it.

A sedimenter has no restrictions on flow and the stock 8-10 micron filter offers the only minimal resistance unless it gets clogged. Even in USA, it is possible to get bad fuel (dirty or with water). The sedimenter will trap most of the particulate and water.
The 300TDI fuel pump is between the sedimenter and the fuel filter, so the lift pump has no restrictions on the suction side and pushes fuel through the filter.

If you go and add a filter on the suction side, you are causing the 300TDI lift pump to suck through a filter to draw fuel... BAD IDEA for 3 reasons: fuel delivery restrictions = lower speeds, excess strain on lift pump = failure or shorter life, When you have multiple filters and no fuel which filter do you change????

Filter media rated at 1 micron is rated to trap a 1 micron particle after multiple passes, it's not like a finely precision machined screen. This means the media will eventually trap a 1 micron particle after MULTIPLE FUEL PASSES (commonly called polishing).

A human hair is about 60 micron, the stock 8-10 micron filter is good enough. any added filtration = added restriction and possible loss of reliability mentioned above.
So less than the stock 8 micron filter is going to a lot of extra trouble to split hairs.

Just a few points that may be overlooked to consider.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The stock filter uses banjo fittings. You need to purchase suitable tubing compression fittings which will screw into the FM100 housing. Any decent hose supply store will have anything you need.

On my 200TDI, both lines were 3/8" IIRC. You should measure your own tubing. You may need to run new tubes as the stock ones might be too short. Make sure the fittings come with tubing inserts to prevent crushing of the nylon tube.

This photo shows how it was first installed: http://www.red90.ca/photos/albums/la...o/100_1418.jpg I've since moved the inlet to the other side to make it easier to reach the fittings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, fuel, tdi