Changed head gasket now TDI wont start - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:25 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Changed head gasket now TDI wont start

I loosened the unions at the injectors and I'm getting diesel there, is it possible there is still air in the injector pump? It turns over quickly with a pause every few seconds, which sounds a little odd. Any ideas appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2015, 04:23 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Shouldn't be air in the pump if you're getting it up at the injectors.

If you just did a head job then the timing should be correct.... you did refit the pushrods didn't ya??
check the valve clearance, but the engine should still attempt to try to start even if they were a little out.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 06:46 AM
vtrover
Mike
1991 RRC 300 tdi

I had a similar thing happen, I didn't have the valves adjusted properly, by the time I figured it out I had completely flooded it, I left it alone for a day and it started right up..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:15 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I agree. Check valve adjustment. If it's getting fuel it should kick right off and run rough for a few seconds then smooth out.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:16 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Jim, i knew i was forgetting something.... Lol . I adjusted the valves and then checked them a second time, but it's not hard to check again. This engine has always started first time so I was surprised to have any trouble at all.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:20 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Did you unplug the fuel cutoff valve under the injector pump by any chance? Single white wire under the injector pump if I recall? That would cause it not to start but not the intermittent pausing...
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:27 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The pause could be from a valve adjusted too tight
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:13 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Everytime I've done it, it always takes a while to get the juice flowing. Takes several iterations of starting attempts (let that starter cool) and just before it starts it seems like the engine is about to self destruct, shaking violently.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old April 3rd, 2015, 11:06 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Everytime I've done it, it always takes a while to get the juice flowing. Takes several iterations of starting attempts (let that starter cool) and just before it starts it seems like the engine is about to self destruct, shaking violently.
Another reason to have a self bleeding fuel system.
Tank, sedimenter, 12V diesel fuel pump, lift pump, fuel filter, IP, return line back to tank.
Key on = Air purged = engine starts right away.
Not a good idea to crank a dry IP if the injector lines were removed.

Valve adjustment is paramount and should have been a mandatory step in the process just after the multiple head bolt degree torquings were finished.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old April 3rd, 2015, 03:18 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Valve adjustment is paramount and should have been a mandatory step in the process just after the multiple head bolt degree torquings were finished.
Yes, as stated I adjusted the valves and then checked them again during the process of putting it back together. Went home at lunch and bled the pump and the lines to the injector again, removed the head cover and check valve adjustment again (all were spot on) and then tried again. Took a few seconds but then started up in manner similar to what Mark described. Once started it smoothed out and sounds good. Thanks for the advice all.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 03:29 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Another reason to have a self bleeding fuel system.
Tank, sedimenter, 12V diesel fuel pump, lift pump, fuel filter, IP, return line back to tank.
Key on = Air purged = engine starts right away.
Not a good idea to crank a dry IP if the injector lines were removed.

Rob, my comments were always after bleeding the lines. Never tried it dry without a prime. That would just be a waste of time.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions