changed cam, all gaskets and now it won't run - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 24th, 2005, 06:28 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

changed cam, all gaskets and now it won't run

Hey everybody,
I just spent the last 3 days wrenching away on my 95 d90. My headgaskets had gone about a year ago and I just got around to doing everything. Alright here's the laydown I replaced the cam and timing gears & chain, lifters, had the heads milled and valves done, switched to composite gaskets etc. Put it all back together and it won't fire.
There is spark at the plug and there is fuel at the fuel rail. Now my big question is- would it run if the timing was off? I don't have a tdc tool, but put a rod into cylinder one when it reaches its peak, the crankpully reads tdc. So, is that correct? I also tried before tdc and after with no luck. The rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder wire. As for the fuel, I have fuel at the rail, there appears to be fuel in the cylinders because the plugs are wet. When I pulled the plug on the 1st cylinder and crank the engine I don't see any fuel coming out. I know I lined the crank and cam up correctly using the two dots on the gears. So where should I look.
thanks brian bertolini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

You not only have to make sure it's at TDC, but also on the correct STROKE. You might be firing the plug at 180 degrees off..... which everybody I know has done at least 2-3 times

If that's the case, it won't do anything other than crank crank crank.

-Hans

Follow-up Post:

Oh, I forgot to ask, but it's VERY important.

You DID prime the oil system already, right? It's critically important on the Rover engines, since the oil pump won't self-prime.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 24th, 2005, 08:37 PM
vesparover
brian bertolini

Hi Hans thanks for the reply. Yes I did prime the oil system! How do I know when the cylinder is on the right stroke? I can't see that the valves are closed with the motor back together. Any insight would be great.
brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Easy way thanks to somebody else on the board here.... take out the spark plug for cylinder 1, and put a finger over the hole. When you are on the compression stroke, you should feel air coming out of the hole. When it gets to TDC, the air will stop coming out, and you will be right where you should be. (but keep check the crank pointer as well to make sure).

On the compression stroke is the only time you should feel the air coming out. (on the power stroke, it will suck air IN, and on the intake and exhaust strokes you won't feel anything, since the valves will be open)

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

I just finished my 4.6 install on friday. I found TDC exactly as Hans described. It worked like a dream. On the exhaust stroke you may feel a little air from the plug hole, but there is no comparison with the volume of air felt on the compression stroke. I spun mine over a couple of times to make sure. You'll really feel a difference. I assume you got your ancillaries figured out. If you're not sure, let me know, I think I've got the picture thing figured out and I can post some from a spanking clean new engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gaskets