ceramic coating 300 tdi exhaust mainfold - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2010, 12:14 AM
dogbite
Paul D
95 D90 ST & SW

Registry
ceramic coating 300 tdi exhaust mainfold

has anyoneever ceramic coated there 300 tdi exhaust mainfold? Or does anyone see any con's to doing this?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would think it would be bad as you are keeping hot gases inside the exhaust and turbo where you would rather bleed some heat in to the engine compartment. Just a thought though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:10 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
The hotter the manifold/header is, the best it will perform. You will improve the turbo lag and protect other engine components.

You'll always have the heat transfer from the exhaust side of the turbine. That's why the inter-cooler is there. I've seen the turbo orange red after drag runs... very cool stuff.

The physics behind it is: The hotter the gas is, the faster it will flow. Hotter gases have more energy.

Edit: I should have stated that ceramic coating will prolong the life of the manifold/header. The turbo and manifold/header "wrap" will help keep them hotter and protect the other engine components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Chris Velardi
Chris Velardi
1975 101FC

I have used "Jet Hot" coatings on Tubular exhaust manifolds . It's a nice finish inside and out and it will prevent corrosion and to some extent depending on the manifold lower the resistance of the exhaust gasses (freer flow)
Old August 17th, 2010, 05:52 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Just be sure to drill and tap it for your pyrometer probe prior to getting it coated. Otherwise there's no down-side but you might want to get it checked for cracks before you go ahead, I'm not sure what a magnaflux scan costs but it'd be a shame to coat a manifold that's ready to crack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old August 17th, 2010, 08:30 PM
dogbite
Paul D
95 D90 ST & SW

Registry
thanks guys.... I thought it was a good idea, but wanted some additional advice before I got it done...ajh thanks for the heads up on the pyrometer hole.. I'l have to do that then of to the ceramic coating shop
Old December 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I just got the M&D Engineering VNT Turbo kit for the 300tdi and I'm planning to use a local company to apply a ceramic coating to the the new manifold and other parts in order to keep it from rusting and hopefully also lowering engine temp a bit. This company also does it to turbos. Is it safe to apply a ceramic coating to the turbo? I assume it has to be taken apart in order to do this? Has anyone else applied ceramic coating to manifold or exhaust and if so did you notice a difference in under hood temperature?
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:04 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

manifold

2x on the below. I have ceramic coated my headers on the V8 and the cool down nice and fast compared to the rest of the motor. I have not noticed any deterioration in them.
I used to get my 3inch down pipes of the Volvo turbos ceramic coated as well for faster flow.
"Jet Hot" coated is a specific brand of coating. It leaves a chrome like finished.

E=rrc.swb;236283]The hotter the manifold/header is, the best it will perform. You will improve the turbo lag and protect other engine components.

You'll always have the heat transfer from the exhaust side of the turbine. That's why the inter-cooler is there. I've seen the turbo orange red after drag runs... very cool stuff.

The physics behind it is: The hotter the gas is, the faster it will flow. Hotter gases have more energy.

Edit: I should have stated that ceramic coating will prolong the life of the manifold/header. The turbo and manifold/header "wrap" will help keep them hotter and protect the other engine components.[/QUOTE]
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:24 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
coatings

I have not used these guys yet, but hoping to do so soon. Was thinking of doing both the Exhaust and Intake manifolds.

http://www.wolfeblasting.com/html/WO...ECOATINGS.html

South of Houston TX

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:26 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I am not sure I would rap a turbo as you do not want to cook the turbo seals (which leads to blow by of oil past the seals) and also the hotter the turbo stays inside it will transfer the heat to the for and aft propellers heating the compressed air going into the intake which you want to keep that air as cool as possible - hence using an intercooler - IMHO. I use Olympic Coating in Escondido, CA and they do mail order parts. They are pretty reasonable. My ceramic coating has held going on 5 years I believe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300 tdi, exhaust, tdi