Ceramic Brake Pads - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Peter
Peter
1997 D90

Ceramic Brake Pads

Anyone using ceramic brake pads or heard anything about them. Mechanic suggested them and I have never even heard of them. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Why use a harder pad? So your rotors can wear faster??? This is a case where stock is best.
Old November 11th, 2004, 03:00 PM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

If you were driving your Porsche around a track and going from 150 mph to 20 mph in a few seconds you would appreciate the ceramic brakes, usually coupled to very $$$ calipers and rotors. These guys change their brake fluid after every race, too. Your stock brakes should stop your Defender fast enough. I noticed a difference on my Disco when I put in slotted/dimpled rotors plus different pads, but Discos stock brakes suck compared to D90's. I can stop at least as fast with the stock setup in the D90.

Dave

http://content2.us.porsche.com/prod/...highlightspccb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

OEM Pads. Never had a single problem with them....

EwS
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:58 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

For that matter, i've never had problems with aftermarket pads (Lockeed, I think) I get at the auto parts store.
Old November 11th, 2004, 09:48 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Ceramic pads can dissapate much more heat than semi-metallics or organic pads (consider that the space shuttle uses ceramic tiles for heat shielding) and thus don't retain heat as long as many other materials. Brakes can fail from overheating - ceramic pads should making extreme braking less likely to fail your brakes.

I'd be willing to try them in conjunction with the new drilled rotors I just installed recently.

It's never bad to have more stopping power on demand as long as other components aren't negatively affected. Another thing to consider desiring more braking power is in the case of towing.

Whose ceramic pads are you planning to try? I was poking around and didn't easily find a manufacturer that carried them for the D90.
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Okay, no, no, don't. I don't want to go into it at this late hour, but no. And if anyone disagrees, thats fine, it's America, but they are wrong.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:45 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

That link, Dave, is for ceramic discs. These sound incredible ... and incredibly expensive.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, pads