Centerforce Clutch Disc - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 24th, 2007, 03:41 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Centerforce Clutch Disc

I've been doing a lot of research on finding a better clutch for our rigs since mine blew up with under 500 miles and only one trip out on it (pics on the other thread about my clutch). So far here's what I've come up with:
The clutch disc in a 1987 Dodge Ramcharger 5.2L has a 1"x23 spline hub and is 10.5 inches. It looks like a direct swap for the LR disc. My alignment tool fit perfectly into it and it sat great on the stock pressure plate. The Dodge pressure plate, however, is not a match. Still working on finding one that's readily available and is a match. I've called Centerforce also, as the Safari Gard rigs have Centerforce Dual Friction clutches. Safari Gard has informed me that they were special production units and never went to market, but gave me the contact information for the guy they dealt with. Left him a message and waiting to hear back.
Good news is that Centerforce and Hays both make clutch discs for the Ramcharger, and while the pressure plate situation is still up in the air, I think the disc problem may be solved. Am I the first to find this solution or has somebody else already tried it? I'll be the guinea pig if no one else has yet because I'm NOT putting another genuine disc back in there. Even if the one I had was defective with my luck the next one I get from Rovers North will be too.
The stock pressure plate seems beefy enough. It's beefier than the ramcharger's. I'll do more research on this today and keep anyone interested up to date on this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Here's the deal for anyone interested. Centerforce will make you a clutch but you have to send them a brand new stock clutch disc and pressure plate. They will turn your new stock parts into a centerforce dual friction setup. This can take a long time according to Larry because they'll build it pretty much in their spare time. The '87 ramcharger disc is not for a rover (obviously) so they won't say if it will work or not. I'm looking at other options because I need my truck running for my bachelor party trip up 21 road next weekend. When a solution is found I'll post.
Old May 24th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks for doing the legwork!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:11 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Is that Yousef's old Defender?
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I've been having computer problems and my reply to your previous post could not upload. If I recall, you have a 4.9:1 low and the clutch blew up when you were letting the truck coast with the clutch depressed. If you had the transmission in first gear when this happened and the truck was rolling at a speed faster than it could be driven in first gear/low range, you probably spun the clutch disc too fast and it came apart. Low gearing is great, but when power flow is reversed, shaft speed is multiplied. I've also seen this happen from downshifting into too low a gear. I'd put another Genuine clutch in. I've been running the Maxi Drive gears from GBR for years and have 180K on my original Genuine clutch with no issues.
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:38 AM
JakeW
Walt
2015 range rover evoque

Yes indeed, Yousef's old rig. I've personalized it a little though.

I was in 1st gear, and your description is exactly what I figured happened. I'm still in the mood for a stronger clutch though. Don't think there's such a thing as too good a part.

I've ordered a Hays street/strip clutch disc from Jegs, part number 40-104, cost was $98. 10.5 inch with a 1" 23 spline hub. Went with Hays because they're known for their discs more than their pressure plates, and I think the magic of Centerforce is in the pressure plate, not the disc. As I have found no swap for the stock Land Rover pressure plate it will have to work, but like I said before it's beefy enough.

I'll be sure and let you guys know if the clutch is a good swap. I'll try to post some pics for comparison as well once the Hays disc gets here. Of course my genuine disc now consists of just the hub, but that's the part that needs to match.

Have a great weekend!
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Yo Jake, glad to hear you are enjoying it. I was talking to a guy that you wheeled with and said my body work does not come close to your body work
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:17 PM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeW
Yes indeed, Yousef's old rig. I've personalized it a little though.

I was in 1st gear, and your description is exactly what I figured happened. I'm still in the mood for a stronger clutch though. Don't think there's such a thing as too good a part.

I've ordered a Hays street/strip clutch disc from Jegs, part number 40-104, cost was $98. 10.5 inch with a 1" 23 spline hub. Went with Hays because they're known for their discs more than their pressure plates, and I think the magic of Centerforce is in the pressure plate, not the disc. As I have found no swap for the stock Land Rover pressure plate it will have to work, but like I said before it's beefy enough.

I'll be sure and let you guys know if the clutch is a good swap. I'll try to post some pics for comparison as well once the Hays disc gets here. Of course my genuine disc now consists of just the hub, but that's the part that needs to match.

Have a great weekend!
If you bump into Brendon Loveday, who is now living in CO now I believe, you might ask him what he runs. I seem to remember years ago that he went with something heavy duty but I can't recall the specifics.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
clutch