Center Dash Trim Alternative - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 9th, 2010, 07:59 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Center Dash Trim Alternative

So the center dash trim piece is coming apart and I'd like to replace it. Turns out the part (Rovers North has it as part #: RNF485) is NLA and they recommend replacing with part #: RNI325- which would require some trimming around the fuse panel. The recommended replacement costs...gulp...$466.72! As far as I can tell it's a piece of rubber backed by some acoustic foam. I can't imagine it costs that much for them to make the part, so there's got to be some mark up due to the lack of availability. It's not a complex part so I was wondering if there's a classy looking alternative (other than leaving it uncovered)? Perhaps someone has come up with a clever shady tree mechanic solution? I've seen the Exmoor seat cover/tunnel cover/floor mat/center cover set which is also an arm and a leg. I'm happy with the factory seat box cover, tunnel cover and floor mats so I'd rather not go that route. Any ideas?

ps: My mechanic has checked with George and he laughed at him when he asked for the part...so I don't think any of the other vendors have any original parts available either. I checked old threads and found a couple (from '08 and '09) and it appears this part was "unobtainium" even back then!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 10th, 2010, 06:21 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I've been looking for one of these for awhile with no luck other than a carpeted replacement which doesn't make sense in my rain collecting ST. I think Barry was looking as well; maybe he will chime in and tell us if he had any luck.

There does seem to be enough interest to explore a custom production run but I don't know who would or could do something like that.
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Thanks Gary. I think it was Barry's old post that I saw when I searched. To be honest I haven't actually seen the part- I got a phone call from the shop that is replacing my transmission. I guess it disintegrated when they were in there pulling everything apart. I was thinking of cutting something out of rubber and fixating it to the bulkhead with some dabs of silicone adhesive- but if it was that easy someone would have thought of that by now. Must be a complex molded part with some structure to it.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 17th, 2010, 09:08 PM
jack SF
jack baran
95 ST yellow

i just got the piece from my dealer. its part # ETD103270. it was expensive. my d90 is a 95 ST. i had no triming around fuse box. i have to cut a hole for the hood release. there is a cutout on pass side about 1" in a shape of an arrow (maybe for A/C) . looks good but a totall rip off. but than i had no other choice.

i checked into the EXMOOR 1 piece mat. i have been told its not black so i did not get it.
Old November 17th, 2010, 09:31 PM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product...D103270&page=1

Should be able to have it shipped to you for around 350.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash