Cel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
petminded
David
1995 Defender 90- Yellow- Soft Top

Cel

I did some searching for my answer a while back. Didn't find what I was looking for so I thought I would ask. If there is a thread that answers this question pls point me in that direction.

My CEL is on. I read about how to shut it off - the hidden brown box thing. But that is not the issue. What happened is the exhaust cracked off just past the header and before the O2 sensor. Before it was fixed the CEL came on.

Here are the questions: on my NAS does the CEL mean the ecu has changed to some default setting and this default needs to be reset too? Can the CEL being on effect MPG (I track mine religiously to monitor engine efficiency)? It sounds like the brown box reset and the ecu are completely separate. Is this right or do they communicat? Should I really care about any of this and just STFUAD?

Thanks in advance. I need to go save the ice cream man from my dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2014, 05:37 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

The little brown box with the hole in the top is the service engine required..but they have no connection between the check engine light.. On your 95 you can reset the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for 20-30 seconds.. If you need to read the code you will turn the ignition on and a 2 digit number comes up in red on the code display unit..I think it's next to your ecu on that model..with that code you can see what the fault it sees was..

------ Follow up post added September 28th, 2014 05:38 PM ------

And yes.. With the light on it sets default parameters for most sensors..kinda like your home computer working in safe mode..so yes, fuel consumption is not optimal...
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:48 PM
petminded
David

Thank you for the fast reply. If i remember correctly the ecu is under the passenger seat in my D90? If I reset the CEL before checking the codes, will the codes still show? I'm guessing they won't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 28th, 2014, 09:57 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
if you read this you will know more about the ECU and workings than 98.275% of the people on the board..

http://p38arover.com/rover/p38a/Engi...UX_Systems.pdf
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old September 28th, 2014, 09:57 PM
petminded
David

Thanks! Will start reading now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions