CD Changer Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Christian Shea
1997 Defender 90 Wagon
CD Changer Help

So today I am in the driveway washing the D90 and listening to the radio and cd player, I go to turn on the ignition to start the engine and all the sudden the head unit switched to the radio mode. The CD mode now ceases to exist, and the magazine won't eject from the player, looks like its not even on. Could the cd changer have been hit with a power surge? Is it destroyed? etc, etc? These are all stock clarion units mind you. Any help would be greatly appreciated. On a side note the tape deck also plays very soft, I plugged in my ipod and all the sudden you can barely hear it even with the volume up on both units. Thanks

Old March 26th, 2005, 07:41 PM
1989 110SW 1 of 2,000,000
I would try two things.

First, disconnect your battery for a minute or two and reconnect it. Then enter your radio code and see if that worked.

Second, check to see that everything is still plugged into the amp (under the passanger seat on a 97, not sure about other years) and check the back of the radio and the CD player.

If that doesn't work pitch it all and buy an aftermarket radio with all the features you have been dreaming of. Your 90 always feels better when you buy it a gift............

By the way, that was my 300th post. About a 1,000,000 to catch up with Mike H!

:O [==] O:
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
John Gorman
97 BRG Defender 90
Radio Ques...

Anybody have any suggestions about a good after market radio, speakers also. I was thinking of getting the Alpine model that supports the IPOD and then new speakers and rear woofer. If anybody has done this already and has any suggestions I'd appreciate them. Thx.
Old March 28th, 2005, 05:25 PM
97 D90 ST
Christian Had similar problem. I just disconnected the cd changer plug for a few seconds and reconnected. Had to do this twice now, not sure if plug gets loosened up with vibration or just looses its connection. Just takes a couple of mins to take trim ring off and reach in and unplug from radio and plug back in. Hope this helps Chris
Old March 28th, 2005, 07:52 PM
'97 Defender 90 SW
My dog spilled a full beer down my last deck and as you can imagine nothing worked after that. I dicided to replace it with the alpine ipod compatable deck. It works great. However, there are a few things to consider with this deck. If you have a full ipod (especially the 40MG) then you are looking at over 6000 songs, which is my case. The deck is too slow when searching for a song and therefore dangerous while driving. I just disconnect the ipod, find the song and reconnect. The other thing is that the connection forthe ipod is another $99. If you go to the alpine site, you may still find a coupon for $50 off the ipod connection when you buy both the deck and the ipod connect at the same time. Now, if you really want to fine tune your system, go to the alpine site and register your vehicle. You will need to take some measurements of speaker distances and plug these in. Then download the info onto a blank disc and load it in the deck. This is really nice.
About speakers, think about the Memphis Acoustics. They really sound good and can take a beating.
Sorry so long winded.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

cd, changer