CCA of 300Tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:01 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey
'93 NAS Defender 110 #322

CCA of 300Tdi

I've tried the Yahoo Tdi group to no avail so I'll see if anyone here knows. What is the CCA pull of the 300Tdi starter?
I'm looking at a backup battery setup with equipment I already have and just want to make sure the amps aren't too high when I eventually switch to the Tdi.

thanks
pwc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:11 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think the Optima yellow or red would be good. Not sure on the exact # but it would depend on how cold it gets where you live.
Old October 1st, 2003, 12:28 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

thanks Mike

I've already got the batteries. I'm curious to the CCA of the starter because the isolater I have (HellRoaring's) has an absolute max of 300amps but a real world suggested 200amp. So if the primary battery is completely dead, you'd be pulling all that current for the starter across the device. That's the only time the rating matters much. From emailing the company a couple of times, they put a "void the warranty" warning in regards to diesels because they tend to pull more amps on start than a gas engine. They said I should be fine, but I'd just like to get some stats to be sure.

pwc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:58 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

HMMM...

If you did not have the isolator i would suggest using a solinoid for a winch wich would be rated for at least 400 amps maybe more if it were for a 12,000 lb winch (500 amps). I did not think that diesels use more CCAs but I tought that they cranked longer.
Old October 1st, 2003, 03:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Pcarey,

I saw your posts over at yahootdi. Don't take this the wronge way but you are way over thinking this. One battery is more than sufficient in every way. I run 2 optimas but only because I had them in there allready when I was running 24 volts. It is nice but don't worry, just throw one in and turn the key.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

He is more concerned with his Isolator being able to handle the full current of the starter if the primary battery goes down.
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:22 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Exactly Mike.

Buck,
The only problem with one battery is I know me and I know my ability to kill that one battery due to stupid little mistakes (leaving the dome light on, leaving the parking lights on because the headlights kill when you turn it off, etc...). As I plan on taking a trip cross country next year with my family, as well as other trips in out of the way places, I like the assurity a fully charged backup offers. It's also nice to know that when my wife takes the truck some place in town and accidently kills it, I don't have to worry about her asking a stranger for a jump start or waiting for AAA. Flick the switch and away you go.
It's a bit of paranoia to have two batteries I know, but it's also a level of comfort as long as you understand the limitations of it. I also plan on putting a 200amp fuse between the backup and the isolator, I just wanted to know beforehand how much current the start will pull. I guess the best way is for me to just try it out and see if I blow the fuse.

pwc
Old October 1st, 2003, 04:24 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Ok, makes sence then. I wish I had a an answer for you!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:24 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I don't know what a Tdi starter pulls in the way of current either.
It's more than a petrol engine on account of the much higher compression ratio that diesels run.
Have you thought of using a split charge sustem and leaving one battery to do the starting and having the extars run off the second battery?
That's the system that I run.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 02:07 PM
Tom Fitzgerald
Tom Fitzgerald
97 D90 SW

Hey pwc,

I found this on a search through Google...

http://freespace.virgin.net/ets.lond...r/bic75300.htm

Seems to be on point.

Tom
Old October 2nd, 2003, 03:37 PM
pcarey
Peter Carey

Wow, that was a lot of words.

That did help a lot and was exactly the information I was looking for, just short of the actual amp rating of the starter. I will email Roman and see what he says. But understandably, it will be exactly the same when I procure a 300Tdi.

I've received a couple of emails from Mike at HR as well and he said mainly the same thing. Don't attempt to start a diesel with just the backup. And he stated there, if the main is dead, flip the switch and let the backup drain some into the main to lessen the current across the BIC upon cranking. I did like Roman's idea of direct connecting the positives of the two batteries if the main is completely dead to lessen the load on the BIC. That sounded like a sound solution to the occasional time it's completely dead.

I may still go with Mike H's. suggestion as well and put everything but the starter on the backup. However, the thing I don't like is the LR statement to flip the master kill switch to make sure your battery isn't drained if left sitting for more than 5-7 days. If everything is hooked up to the main and I left it standing for 2 weeks, the main may be dead, but I'd have the piece of mind knowing the backup is still fresh (all things considered). I'll be wiring everything up with distribution blocks and such, so if the way I was thinking at first doesn't work, switching it around won't be that big of a deal.

Thanks everyone for the input, it's helped a lot.

pwc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi