CB question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

CB question

I know a lot of people here are using the Cobra CB but has anyone had any experience or knowledge with this Midland 75-820 Midland CB

Also any good ideas on attennas and how long should I get.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

I would also appreciate feedback.
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

got a radio shack piece of crap with a pep boys antenna. works great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2007, 11:42 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
generally speaking, the longer then antenna, the better
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:27 AM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

If you're really worried about communication then get your amateur radio license and a good 10 Meter radio. But if you're simply looking for a piece of equipment you can chat to truckers with while traveling along the interstate then just about any CB radio will suffice.

Regarding CB antennas- the most important thing to remember is to ensure a good ground and properly calibrate the SWR's (Signal to Wave Ratio). You'll check the SWR's on channels 1, 20 and 40 and are looking for 1.1:1 and no worse then 1.5:1.

You want the antenna to be as tall as practically possible. The antenna should be taller than any other part of the vehicle and if the antenna has a load then make sure it's above the top of the vehicle.
Old February 18th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Erimus 1
Neil McLeod
97 D90 NAS

Cheers for the thorough advice Matt.
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:18 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
I know a lot of people here are using the Cobra CB but has anyone had any experience or knowledge with this Midland 75-820 Midland CB

Also any good ideas on attennas and how long should I get.

Thanks

I've never used that model CB but some of them with all the functions on the mic are easy to accidentally change channels and other settings.
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

I thought the same thing Randy. I have a buddy selling a brand new one for 75 dollars and thought it would be a good deal.

Thanks again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 18th, 2007, 08:20 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have a question also, when I key up my cobra with my stereo on, it squeals like a pig. Is that a ground problem or something?
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck1974
got a radio shack piece of crap with a pep boys antenna. works great
Yep. RS has a cheap "all weather" one that's good for soft tops; I use it in my wagon as well.

While other radio technologies may be alot better, around here CB is the "standard" that everyone on the trail uses, and is what the log truck drivers use in the back country. A radio does you know good if you can't talk to anybody with it.

I mounted my antenna in one of the lamp mounting holes on the ARB bumper.
Old February 20th, 2007, 12:43 AM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
A radio does you know good if you can't talk to anybody with it.
Evidently some may need some clarification.

A 10 Meter radio, and any other ham radio for that matter, is going to have the ability to tune and transmit on citizen band (CB) frequencies. (Channel 1 = 26.965MHz to Channel 40 - 27.405MHz) Your friendly truckers are going to be on 27.185 These are the most available and open freqs out there, hence "Citizen Band".
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Misconceptions galore.

I actually used that midland while spotting over the weekend (out of the truck and too far from my base unit). Seemed to do the job although as a handheld, range was limited by the rubber duck antenna. It was great on batteries though.
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

The antenna is the most important part. Cheap CB's work just fine. My Cobra has the weather band and I appreciate that. Tune your antenna! Either borrow, buy and use a CB shop with a meter and tune that antenna. My KB antenna has a little shaft that extends to tune it. Others you may have to remove the tip and cut. Cheap ones don't require tuning because THEY SUCK. Firestik makes a nice tunable antenna, too.

Personally, I find CB's suck in general. FRS/GMRS radios are better, but I can't fine a permanently installed "CB style" FRS/GMRS radio--one that preferably can do both CB and FRS--do they exist?
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:19 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyver_007
Evidently some may need some clarification.

A 10 Meter radio, and any other ham radio for that matter, is going to have the ability to tune and transmit on citizen band (CB) frequencies. (Channel 1 = 26.965MHz to Channel 40 - 27.405MHz) Your friendly truckers are going to be on 27.185 These are the most available and open freqs out there, hence "Citizen Band".
Really? I did not know that. The 10 meter band runs from 28-29.7 MHz, above the CB band. A brief Google search did not reveal any 10m mobile transceivers that were also set up to operate in the CB band; can you point me to a particular model?

BTW, it's called "citizen's band" because that's what it is labelled in Part 95, Subpart D of the FCC rules; i.e., "Citizens Band Radio Service": a 2-way service indended for use by the general public. In the dom drak past you actually needed a license (no test, just fill out the form), but I think that was done away with during the Carter Administration.

Follow-up Post:

Edit: that should be: "dim dark" past.
Old February 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

OK, now I owe an explanation.

10 Meter Radios are NOT CB radios. That means that they will NOT get any of the 40 CB Channels out of the box. Don't expect to buy a new 10 meter Radio, take it out of the box, plug it in and talk on channel 19. The 10 Meter radio is an amateur radio and NOT a CB Radio. Well, at least that is the claim of the manufacturers of these radios. The FCC on the other hand claims they are really CD radios in disguise and therefore need to be on the FCC's approved list.

Anyway, very simple Frequency modification can be legally done by you or any CB shop. You can legally listen in on the 40 CB Channels, but it is technically illegal to transmit on those channels do to the power which easily exceeds the max 4 watts of the legal CB radio. You should also have a License to operate a 10 meter radio.

The antenna is the crucial element of range but at some point you cannot mount a bigger antenna on your truck so you have to go back to increasing the power of the radio.
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
wineryrover
Robb
D90, SIII, LR3 & DII

Registry
I have a cobra all in hand with a tunable firestick antenna. Been real happy with both. The cobra has a "lock" botton that prevents you from changing settings on accident. As others have said, put your money in the antenna, that will make a bigger difference.
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:05 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

so Matt, exactly what do I want to buy, a 10 Meter radio and decent antenna, then take it to my local shop and ask them to tune it to the CB channels as well? So can I buy a cheap as dirt 10 meter radio and good antenna (is K40 good, Firestick, which one, you tell me and I'll be on it) and get pretty good performance?

I've got 3 cb's sitting around, and was never really happy with any of them, and want to just get it right this time.

Thanks
Old February 21st, 2007, 08:33 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

K40's are no longer in business. You can find them, but the companies direction is different so their lifetime warranty is good only if you find someone with them still in stock. Although I have one, I would get a Firestick nowadays.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
MattGuyver_007
Matt VA
1995 D90 SW

Hmm, well I own several radios but one particular radio i like is my Galaxy 99. You can order these pre-tuned on the web that are ready to go and include all of the upgrades. Like Chris said, the FireStiks are tough to beat for vehicular purposes. I also like Wilson or Monkey Made.

If you are lucky enough to have a CB shop nearby (they're a dying breed) that's going to be your best bet. They'll be able to assist you on everything from selection to installation and service.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

A lot of the larger truck stops have a CB shop. I bought my CB online and installed it, then I took it to the CB shop at the truck stop a few miles up the interstate from my house and bought the the antenna. The guy sold me the antenna, bracket, cable and installed and tuned it for about $35. Interestingly, he said a few weeks before I showed up the Dallas Jeep club brought in about 15 trucks for him to install radios into. I'm no expert on CB, but I asked him about buying the longest antenna. He suggested a 3' length whip type antenna and said there would not be much to gain by going longer and it would be more likely to be damaged. It's mounted to the top bracket of the spare tire carrier and extends about 12" - 18" above the vehicle. I've never tested the range, but it works great for convoys and trails.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions