CB Problem.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
CB Problem....

when I key the mic on my CB, I hear my voice on the radio speakers... THis only happens when the radio is on not when its off. It also makes lots of feedback in the radio speakers when its raining or wet.. Does the antenna have a grounding problem?
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Individual antennas? or a combination antenna?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:23 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Individual antenna mounted on the tire carrier in the back
Advertisement

Old September 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Hmmmm. And does it do it just when using the radio? or also when playing a CD?

Old September 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Not sure. I will check tomorrow.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If it happens while using the CD player, that means it's coming through your speaker wires, which means I'd start looking at the CB antenna and wiring for a problem. Checking the ground would be a great first place to look either way.

If they ground and co-ax for the CB antenna are good, and it's only happening when you use the radio, then an RFI filter on the car-stereo should cure things for you. The question is, do you only listen to FM? or AM and FM? I'd have to track down a filter for you, and I'm not sure what's available for that type of application.

-Hans

Old September 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I know it happened with the radio on. I have to check it with a CD or the Ipod adapter as wel
Old September 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

My advice is to take it and throw it away. I tossed mine and feel very liberated. CB's are cheeseball.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
My advice is to take it and throw it away. I tossed mine and feel very liberated. CB's are cheeseball.

lol.. yeah, i only use it when we convoy on log trips... its good for shootin the shit.
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:23 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Maybe so, but their inexpensive nature seems to make them the defacto standard for trail communications on most every run I've ever been one. Of course, in the wide open spaces out west, alot of guys are getting their HAM licenses and running more sophisticated gear, but I don't think that is too prevalent for trail ride communications in the east, or am I living in the dark ages?

Old September 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have a CB in my trucks, but on most of our trail rides, we use the FRS radios more often. I prefer the CB, no need for batteries.

Old September 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Maybe so, but their inexpensive nature seems to make them the defacto standard for trail communications on most every run I've ever been one. Of course, in the wide open spaces out west, alot of guys are getting their HAM licenses and running more sophisticated gear, but I don't think that is too prevalent for trail ride communications in the east, or am I living in the dark ages?
Your not in the dark ages. People still use them here too. But, I find trail rides with more than a couple trucks absolutely aweful. There are always trail tampons up front, with trail leaders constantly talking on the CB telling everyone there is a right coming up, then seven other people repeating what the leader says. A 30min trail takes nine hours...blaw. Once I liberated myself of those type of trail runs, which I suggest everyone do, then I got to yank out my CB. There really stupid anyway if you think about it. All you have to do is look over your shoulder and see if the guy who was behind you still is. If not, stop. Pretty simple. It's not like were going through the wild animal park where everything needs to be pointed out. "Coming up on the left here you can see a rock. It looks like an old rock. A little greyish red in color. I'm going to drive over it". People only have these things because it makes them feel cool. Roger Roger.

Okay, rant off.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:49 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

10-4

Quote:
It's not like were going through the wild animal park where everything needs to be pointed out. "Coming up on the left here you can see a rock. It looks like an old rock. A little greyish red in color. I'm going to drive over it". People only have these things because it makes them feel cool. Roger Roger.
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:55 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Your not in the dark ages. People still use them here too. But, I find trail rides with more than a couple trucks absolutely aweful. There are always trail tampons up front, with trail leaders constantly talking on the CB telling everyone there is a right coming up, then seven other people repeating what the leader says. A 30min trail takes nine hours...blaw. Once I liberated myself of those type of trail runs, which I suggest everyone do, then I got to yank out my CB. There really stupid anyway if you think about it. All you have to do is look over your shoulder and see if the guy who was behind you still is. If not, stop. Pretty simple. It's not like were going through the wild animal park where everything needs to be pointed out. "Coming up on the left here you can see a rock. It looks like an old rock. A little greyish red in color. I'm going to drive over it". People only have these things because it makes them feel cool. Roger Roger.

Okay, rant off.
LOL.. I think I fixed it.. I removed the nylon washer located in the antenna mount giving the antenna a better ground to the body. IT appears to have worked.

Come Back...........
Old September 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Breaker breaker good buddy...

Actually no-one I know actually uses proper signage (or whatever the term is). I think are times when they are useful though - like when you break something and need to radio for help.

Randy, I think you need to ground the cable side of the mount, but the nylon washer is supposed to isolated the antennae itself. On my truck if I removed the washer I get a horrible SWR reading.

Over and out.

charles

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions