CB mounting ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:12 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

CB mounting ideas

Looking for ideas as to where to put a CB. I had mine temporaraly zip tied to the roll bar inbetween the seats. I'm buying a new one and want to find a permanent home for it in the Rover.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:46 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I fastened mine onto the back of the center cubby. It's a little unhandy but it's out of the way.

I also installed an external speaker on the overhead rollbar.
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:41 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Fabbed a little bracket from some light steel stock which screws in under the AC vents on the left and clipped it to that bracket. Used one existing hole underneath had to drill another (both invisible).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I used the factory Cobra bracket and zip ties to mount in the package shelf between the two front vents.... But I do not have A/C, that may be where your fan control switch is?
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:16 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Wow. Got to love this place allready have some good ideas in a short amount of time.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:58 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Tuffy makes one of their overhead units compatible with D90's. This is a unit that goes from the windshield to the rollbar.

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/Products_00014/

From this thread:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ighlight=tuffy

Here is a pic:
Attached Images

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:47 AM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

I am thinking of making something similiar to the Tuffy overhead console because I would like to mount my radio up there as well. I am sick of my dogs droll and hair getting all over and inside both my radio and CB. Currently I have it mounted to the back of my Tuffy box but find it inconvient and dangerous to tune it while driving.

CB Kearney Fine Woodworking
250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

Old March 5th, 2004, 04:15 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I used two big pipe clamps to attach a piece of aluminum to the roll bar, just a little right of center. The radio mounting bracket is attached to the aluminum piece. It's pretty acessible, and out of the way when not used.
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:39 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

I mounted my 400 band inside the stock cubby box and mounted the mic clip on the front of the box. The mic cord runs out the gap between the lid and the radio (The gap accommodates the plastic radio cover when covering radio). The mic can then be stored in the box when parked. the only thing that gives away the fact I have a radio is the antenna.
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:52 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Read do you have an external speaker? How well do you hear the radio if its in the cubby box?

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Mjollnir
Johan Boysen

I'd be curious to know how watertight the Tuffy units is as well, though one would assume it would have to be. Wouldn't be much use if you were tooling around without your top on and ended up with rainwater soaking you CB or whatever else you may have mounted there.
Old March 8th, 2004, 09:30 PM
read
Read Kerlin
'94 w/ POE HT

Yep, I do have an external speaker mounted on the driver side just above the seat belt mount, where the roof and side panels bolt together. It basically is right above my head and to the side. no matter how noisy it gets... I can always hear it.
Old March 8th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Used the Cobra C75 Wxst that uses a remote box and has the controls on the handpiece. I put the remote under the tuffy box and ran the cable out the bottom. Works good enough for communicating on the trail and doesn't leave the unit sitting out in the open.

Old March 8th, 2004, 10:47 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I ended up buying a 25 WX NW ST. I tried the cubby box and it's too big to fit. Keep the mounting ideas comming. I'm getting some good ideas that I'd never think of.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 9th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I have the same CB. Here is how I mounted it--although I go for function more than anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cb.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	369  
Old March 9th, 2004, 08:33 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Hmm... Interesting.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 9th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Thats how I mounted mine, 2 self tapping sheet-metal screws and you are done.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Doug_Paoletti
Douglas P. Paoletti
'94 D90

I just installed the Tuffy overhead console this weekend. It looks and works great, but what a PITA! I purchased it from 4wheelersupply.com using the link provided by Chris above. The instructions it came with are horrendous and make absolutely no mention of how to install it in the D-90 (even though on the site it says that it is compatible with the D-90) but reference only Jeep products.

It is pretty obvious how it attaches to the roll bar, but the connection at the windshield is another matter entirely. After several hours of surveying the problem (over several beers), I determined that the product was simply not designed for the D-90 and I would have to rig something up myself. Here's what I ended up with:

I removed the map light at the top center of the of the windshield and reversed it to better accomodate the angle at the front of the Tuffy console, in order to get it close enough to the windshield frame. Before replacing the light assembly, I drilled two holes through the lip on the front of the windshield frame and bolted the "footman loop hook" thingy that came with the tuffy console (originally intended to hook over the existing footman loop on Jeep products according to the instructions) using two alen bolts. I then bolted the front of the console to the other side of "footman loop hook" thingy and replaced the map light (in the reversed position as mentioned earlier). Finally, I drilled two holes into the roll bar and used two self-tapping stainless screws to firm up the connection at the back of the console (unlike the picture on the Tuffy website, the back of the console consists of two pieces that "sandwhich" the role bar as opposed to the u-bolts shown in the picture, resulting in a somewhat loose connection without the screws I described). All things considered, the end result is a very sturdy and good looking overhead console and a very convenient place to mount a CB, radio, etc, as well as a few toggle swithches for other accessories. So far, the only drawback I can identify is that the sun visors do not clear the console and so need to either be left permanently up or down or (as I chose) removed.

If anyone is interested I could post some pics of the completed installation.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug_Paoletti
...If anyone is interested I could post some pics of the completed installation.
Oh yes please, If you dont mind, take a bunch of pictures and send them into the site. I will get them up. Will be very interested in the write up with pictures as I would like to do this with our D90 at some point!

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

I finished up putting my CB on the side of the console next to the drivers seat. Only problem I have is that whenever I hook up my seatbelt, it hits and adjusts the squelch button. I can get a pic if desired.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount