CB Antenna Mounting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM
nycjdp
JP
1995 D90

CB Antenna Mounting

I have a Cobra 75WX with a Firestik that I need to install on my 1995 D90. I think I'm good on the CB install but now I need to install the antenna. I've searched the forums and haven't found much on this topic. Few questions:

1. Will you post a picture of your CB Antenna mount?
2. How much time, effort, and money did you put into SWR tuning?
3. I'll not be on the trails much but would like to monitor big rig traffic on some sketchy roads (Dalton Highway) up in Alaska. How much effort would you put into a CB set up for this limited use?

Thanks
JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
All I gotta say, is that if you want the antenna on there, definitely do it. I put a whip antenna on my F-150. It has saved me from at least 10 tickets on I-10. Can't really help you with mounting one on the defender...I still have to get around to doing that to mine. Definitely put one on IMHO.

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM
nycjdp
JP
1995 D90

Thanks Ryan. Did you tune your antenna or just mount it on your truck and start using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:25 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
Tell you the truth, I just went to an off-road shop in Alabama and they hooked it all up for $20...

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:26 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Here is mine, I made it out of a piece of angle iron, rounded the edges with a die grinder and tack welded the corner piece.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna mount.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	18433   Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna mount 2.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	18434  

Old March 26th, 2009, 06:48 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
I saw that Safari Gard had a bracket you could buy with or without light that has a cb mount location
http://www.safarigard.com/store/prod...roducts_id=126
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I just added this bracket with the light to my 95 d90. The installation was simple, but I had to run a separate ground because I couldn't get the SWR into an acceptable range until I did. Not a problem, I just run an "Y" from the light ground wire and it helped a lot. Also, I couldn't find anything on making cables, and none of the prefabbed holes will allow the antenna connector through, so i modded mine so it is custom now! Otherwise, you will have to run the cable and put the antenna connector on afterward.

I did SWR mine, but the Firestik set to its shortest length was the best. I have the exact set up you are talking about but i am not really sold on the Cobra yet.

I used to have the (ARB?) roll bar antennae mount, mounted on the roll cage just above the drivers door. It kept the antenna really high up and I could take it on and off without actually getting out of the rig. But even with the roll bar, I had to run a good ground to the plate. I know some others on here said they had good success with the glass mounts on one of the rear windows.

I did find this while looking around today:
http://www.fourtreks.com/modular_cb_...nting_kit.html
Which is very bling, bling.

good luck!

bill
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

That looks pretty good, but you could just buy a stainless collar from American Collars and drill and tap it yourself for about 1/5 of the price.

Also, what about something like this or this. That way if you mount it on the top of the roll cage you can swing it down parallel to the roof when height is a concern. Just a thought.
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:36 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Here's my CB install on my soft top. I plan to add a spring soon, but it has faired fine so far without one.

As long as you can get the SWR under a 2:1 you're fine. All the CBers are so caught up with SWR when really the losses are nearly imperceptible with such a short run of coax. As long as it's low enough to not do any damage (as much as you can do with 4 watts) to your radio, don't worry about it.

Give it a good counterpoise (your chassis), hook it up, and forget about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	18436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0096.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	18437  

Old March 27th, 2009, 12:13 AM
nycjdp
JP
1995 D90

Stmpede; those are awesome...so many good ideas! I see you're up in Winnetka. Are you a member of the Chicago Land Rover club? Let's hit the Cliffs some time

Follow-up Post:

Kolvedic, that is awesome! When you say a separate ground, are you referring to the actual CB installation or is there a separate ground for the antenna?
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:47 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjdp
Kolvedic, that is awesome! When you say a separate ground, are you referring to the actual CB installation or is there a separate ground for the antenna?
Without getting too technical on antenna design, one of these 5/8 wave firestik verticals needs a good ground (or counterpoise). Really the vertical element of the antenna is only half the design. The other is the ground plane. While the vehicle body and chassis certainly aren't optimal counterpoises they work fine.

As long as what you're mounting the antenna to is grounded, you won't need to run a separate ground strap to the the frame (my ST tire carrier is). If it isn't, you'll need to provide the coax braid with a good ground. If you don't you'll have a real impedance mismatch (not to mention a poorly radiating antenna) which is what a high SWR is telling you.

If you're not finicky just make sure you have a good ground on the antenna mount and mount the thing. Even if your SWR is up at 3:1 with halfway decent coax you're loosing no more than half a dB. Let me know when you can hear that .

- Chris
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I bought a mount that fits around the upper tube on my Rockwear bumper and ran a cable through the gap between the radiator and wing on the passanger side.With the cable running down along the frame and up through the hole where the stereo wires come through.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:43 AM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest

As long as what you're mounting the antenna to is grounded, you won't need to run a separate ground strap to the the frame (my ST tire carrier is). If it isn't, you'll need to provide the coax braid with a good ground. If you don't you'll have a real impedance mismatch (not to mention a poorly radiating antenna) which is what a high SWR is telling you.
What he said. Basically, I also added some neoprene between the external mount and the body of the D, and the aluminum body really isn't good for grounding. So I borrowed the ground to make sure the mounting plate had a good ground.

bill
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Hey JP, I don't have mine ready yet, but I need to revive the Happy Hour thread so we can all get together sometime. Keep an eye out for it. Sorry for the hijack guys.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
Without getting too technical on antenna design, one of these 5/8 wave firestik verticals needs a good ground (or counterpoise). Really the vertical element of the antenna is only half the design. The other is the ground plane. While the vehicle body and chassis certainly aren't optimal counterpoises they work fine.

If you're not finicky just make sure you have a good ground on the antenna mount and mount the thing. Even if your SWR is up at 3:1 with halfway decent coax you're loosing no more than half a dB. Let me know when you can hear that .

- Chris
I'm avoiding the whole grounding issue by installing one of these (no ground plane antenna:
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-fg...ath=28_352_412

I'm in the process of setting up my fj with a 2' version of this since its my DD and don't want to remove it all the time, but will probably go for a 3' or 4' version on the defender with a quick release since it will be used more on the trails.

I'm not an electronics expert on tuning, but from the research i've done, the longer the antenna, the easier it is to tune.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
I'm avoiding the whole grounding issue by installing one of these (no ground plane antenna:
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-fg...ath=28_352_412

I'm in the process of setting up my fj with a 2' version of this since its my DD and don't want to remove it all the time, but will probably go for a 3' or 4' version on the defender with a quick release since it will be used more on the trails.
Did you ever install this type of antenna? How did it work out for you? I have a handheld cb I want to install this week.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

They work fine in my experience. I had one until I installed a VHF radio for work and had to switch antenna styles.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:09 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder

Just remember... All you have to do to ground an antenna adequately on a vehicle is attach the coax shield to the body/frame. It's not an involved process and will yield better results. Don't be afraid of it.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

What I'm considering is mounting the new antennae to the roof rack on a hinged bracket bolted to one of those pipe-clamps people use for hi-lift carriers. This way I can fold it down along the length of the rack and secure it when not in use, but when the vehicle is loaded up and doing highway miles I can fold it up and get a proper 4' exposure to both the front and rear. (Well I'm also fitting an Yaesu 8800 SW) The issue with mounting it on the back like everyone does, and like I did on my D2 is that a lot of the output is screened by the vehicle itself and the ground cutting down how far it can go, lifting it even another 3' can (estimate) almost double your range, especially for forward transmission.

- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That's what I was planning to do using this attachment:

http://www.memphisamateur.com/index....ROD&ProdID=188

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
What I'm considering is mounting the new antennae to the roof rack on a hinged bracket bolted to one of those pipe-clamps people use for hi-lift carriers. This way I can fold it down along the length of the rack and secure it when not in use, but when the vehicle is loaded up and doing highway miles I can fold it up and get a proper 4' exposure to both the front and rear. (Well I'm also fitting an Yaesu 8800 SW) The issue with mounting it on the back like everyone does, and like I did on my D2 is that a lot of the output is screened by the vehicle itself and the ground cutting down how far it can go, lifting it even another 3' can (estimate) almost double your range, especially for forward transmission.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
mount