Catalytic Converter - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:48 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Catalytic Converter

My passenger side catalytic converter just started making the most annoying beans-in-can racket, especially when I let off the gas. I am going to replace it and wanted advice from anyone that has done it. I will either drop the pipe and weld in a new one or have a shop do it--if anyone has advice on which one to get, it would be appreciated. I know the oval size being so close to the frame rail is essential, so any part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:59 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

cut it at the welds and shove a pipe through it and weld it back again.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:51 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I used Magnaflow Universal Cats #94004

They are pretty tight on the passenger side but do clear the frame. They are a metal screen type cat so nothing to break and rattle around.

I paid $54 plus shipping for them here.

Hope this helps. I have been very happy with them. The shop charged me $150 to install both, YMMV. It was a really small shop without the greatest prices but the selection is very limited here.

-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks for the idea, shane, but I want to keep it legal and clean. Scott, thanks for the part numbers--I will go that route.

It does not seem like it would be that hard a job--just keep everything aligned, right? Maybe weld some steel as a bridge across the old cat, cut it out (the bridge to hold everything inline and to keep the separation constant) and weld the new one in? Just my thoughts--if someone has done a cat swap, is there an easier way? (without paying someone else to do it, of course). I have stainless wire and stainless-to-steel wire for the mig and I am guessing that is all I would need...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would leave the entire system connected, cut out the old and tack weld the new one in place, then remove it and run your beads. With all the mounts in and if you only do one side at a time, everything will line up when you are done. Your way would work fine too, just seems like a lot of extra work!
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Great advice, Andrew. I will do that.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I had the shop perform the install just as Andrew indicated as they were unsure how to approach it, lol. The passenger is the more difficult due to the space available. When you cut that side, reinstall the pipe to exhaust manifold and tack it three or four places to hold it straight when you weld it. When they finished and went to reinstall everything, I had them place a wrench between the cat and passenger side frame rail to insure enough clearence when they tighten everything up. It sucks not having a welder when your forced to "teach" a shop how to do something. It went very smoothly however. I don't think you will have any problems. Just remember to take out the O2 sensors so you don't burn up the wiring.
-Scott
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

The muffler shop that I went to for changing out my cats said that I needed the offset cats or that the pipes would not line up. Have any of you had any problems with this? I assume that just need to go to another muffler shop?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

None of the shops in my area were willing to even try and swap the cats or build anything. It was either do the whole Y-pipe with a finished replacement, or they refused to even work on it. So I just bought the who y-pipe and bolted it in myself.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I had a positive result in colorado with the old pipe throught the cats. blow test was cool on the jeep. Don't have blow test here, so dont know with the defender. visually it is 100%. About an hour total and no cost.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
What other high-flow options are out there? I tried to get a shop to cut mine off and run just pipe but no one in my area would do it. Even though they don't even test emissions. Yet. My cats rattle so bad people must think my truck is about to die.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

O.K., so "theoretically", um, my "friend" is considering putting this pipe through the cats. Shane, how do you do this? Will I have to cut them out completely to do this? I looked at them, and if I use a pipe, it would have to be smaller diameter maybe? I would love to spend no money right now--times are tight--so I am seriously considering this...for my friend, that is
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
COSteve
Steven Reed
93 Defender 110 - #107

Davis,
I had Intermountain Radiator and Muffler at 2500 Federal Blvd, Denver 80211 - 303 455 5661
Replace my Passenger Side Cat in 2002. They cut out the old and put in a new one. It’s been problem free and passed Colorado emissions since then. 5 year 50K Mile warranty on the cat itself.
Costs in 2002 were Parts - 115.00 and Labor 70.00. With tax all in for 193.39.
Make sure to remove the O2 sensors and disconnect the battery. I did not and they touched the O2 sensor wiring and blew the main Fuel Injection fuse, which took a tow, new O2 and some time to troubleshoot, but that is a different subject. Be sure to have lunch at Jack and Grill next door while you wait! Great Mex! Good Luck.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I replaced mine with universal Magnaflows last year. Had the shop do a Flowmaster muffler while they were under there. Cost was actually quite reasonable.

They sniff test here and I passed so easily the guys at the shop commented on how well the truck did. They said they were going to recalibrate the machine afterwards to make sure it wasn't screwing up. I told him to sign me off first. They're good guys and did what they could to help me try to pass before I replaced the cats. There was no way around it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

mine has a factory weld at both sides of the cats. pretty easy to duplicate. $5 of pipe from the muffler shop and you will figure it out. If you were near here, I would do it for you. I had some scrap pipe laying around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
O.K., so "theoretically", um, my "friend" is considering putting this pipe through the cats. Shane, how do you do this? Will I have to cut them out completely to do this? I looked at them, and if I use a pipe, it would have to be smaller diameter maybe? I would love to spend no money right now--times are tight--so I am seriously considering this...for my friend, that is
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks--for the passenger's cat, it makes sense, it just looks difficult for the driver's cat. Did you just use the same 2" diameter pipe?
Old October 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
jerseymike68

Magnaflow 93718

I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty. Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:23 AM
tdn
Troy Norton
'94 D90

Gotta question.....I had the same rattling sound and just dropped the Y-pipe and stuck a rod in the cats to knock all the honeycomb and stuff out (don't have emissions test here). Removed the O2 sensors while I did it just in case. When I put it all back together it ran fine and "quiet" but after a few minutes the check engine light came on. I'll check the codes tonite but in general if you change the flow characteristics by doing this will that trigger the O2 sensor?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions