CAT and y-pipe help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

CAT and y-pipe help

I'm replacing everything from the manifolds back, I plan to get a custom y-pipe made. But do i need to have cats on both sides of the y-pipe? I was thinking i could have one high flow cat after the y-pipe comes to an end, then a flowmaster and pipe all the way back. I have already ordered a flowmaster 40, and magnaflow high flow cat, but do i need to order another cat? I have read their are sensors behind the cats that helps adjust a mixture?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2006, 08:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/prod/cats.html mr OME HD EE BFG THC X9 LSD
Old October 13th, 2006, 11:02 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

thank you asshole, what gives you the fucking mind set that you can be a ass to people you don't even know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2006, 11:16 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Uh oh, here we go.
Play nice, gentlemen.

97 D90 SW
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:41 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
dont jump the gun. just trying to help.
Old October 14th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

For the ECU to work right you need a cat on each side, and you need both O2 sensors on both sides in front and behind the cats. Now as far as what Phill posted, one he answered a question asked kinda often, "can you replace the cats on a 97 with something not stock and still have the ECU work ok" And in addition I don't think it's a big deal that he harassed you a little, you can dig right back into him, but calling him an Ahole isn't too cool seeing as he HELPED answer your question.
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
thank you asshole, what gives you the fucking mind set that you can be a ass to people you don't even know?
Ben you better calm down over here. These guys aren't like dwebbers. They are pretty straight forward. I think they are tired of you asking all the basic questions about your new truck, We appreciate your enthusiasm but most of your questions could be answered with the search feature.
Old October 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
Ben you better calm down over here. These guys aren't like dwebbers. They are pretty straight forward. I think they are tired of you asking all the basic questions about your new truck, We appreciate your enthusiasm but most of your questions could be answered with the search feature.
x2

An I actually thought Phil's response was generous...
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:35 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Ben...they are tired of you asking all the basic questions [that] could be answered with the search feature.
Exactly! Mr. OME HD EE BFG THC X9 LSD synthetic line

I do recall reading up one one setup with a single cat and two O2's. It was simply parallel-wired to make the ECU see two. I can't recall if it worked though.

But why? What are you saving? An extra cat and two O2's? The generics are cheap enough now (and warranteed for 100K miles I believe) that this isn't huge savings. Plus your motor won't be running more efficiently.
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

If it was a '94 or '95, it would be easy enough to say just go with a single cat. On a '97 with OBD-II, it's a trickier situation due to the post-cat O2 sensors.

But I think that the physical mounting of the cats will be a bigger problem. You could probably put a single cat in further downstream, but because of the locations of the transfer case, underseat boxes, driveshafts and all the rest of the running gear I don't know if you have the room to properly tuck it up and get enough clearance without some creative pipework. If you plan on doing any off-roading in areas with a lot of underbrush, high grass or anything similar it would be risking a grassfire under the truck. Not to mention, you're putting a pretty expensive piece in the way of rocks too. The stock location gives them quite good clearance already.

Getting a custom replacement is one thing, but I think that going away from the original configuration is going to be causing more issues than it solves.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:55 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Well, you can't go too far downstream for the cat or it won't do its job. I would think fitting it just after the y-pipe connection is too far.

Again, what is the point?
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:18 PM
needsaD110
Ben
97 D90 #1345

Quote:
I had already searched all of the cat posts, I have seen that link a couple of times. All i wanted to know if i could get away with running one CAT, but i guess i need to go order another one. I know this isn't DWEB but the night i read the post i tore up some soft tissue in my arm and their was some new scratches in the truck from i guess people in parking lots, so i was pissed. I didn't mean to go off like that
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:41 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by needsaD110
I had already searched all of the cat posts, I have seen that link a couple of times. All i wanted to know if i could get away with running one CAT, but i guess i need to go order another one. I know this isn't DWEB but the night i read the post i tore up some soft tissue in my arm and their was some new scratches in the truck from i guess people in parking lots, so i was pissed. I didn't mean to go off like that
You're not the first to go off like that. A lot of guys here are just waiting to jump all over someone for asking questions they think have been answered b/4, even if it was 5 yrs ago. Some of these guys really seem to get their rocks off by making comment like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions