Castor Correction Advise Sought… - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2006, 12:46 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Castor Correction Advise Sought…

Castor Correction Advise Sought…

’95 D-90 Softtop, with SG Stage III lift (Circa '00 -- OME 753 front, 759 rear springs, Fox 10” front 12” rear shocks). Total lift is just over 3”. I know of three primary methods to correct the castor. Modified radius arms, SG 3-Link and RoverTyme’s knuckle modification. I am currently lucky enough not to have driveline vibrations with the lift and stock drive shafts, and I fear that either of the first two will lead to the need to change the front driveshaft, since they will rotate the pinion back down.

The knuckle modification bothers me because I have to take apart a perfectly fine pair of working and non-leaking knuckles, and I am afraid they will never be the same.. LOL! Of course, the modified radius arms are the most straight forward, least expensive alternative, depending upon driveshaft issues that arise, and I could maybe throw in a set of those slotted bushings for some extra flex when John gets them to market!

The SG three link seems the most expensive, and the most toward not really being a Rover suspension anymore. It brings obviously well documented articulation advantages along with the ability to correct the castor issue, but I still have the drive shaft concerns, and I will need to go with different, stiffer front springs, and still remember the failure of the original prototypes (though I’ve never heard of a production version failing).

One way or the other I need to correct the castor though, since it borders on dangerous to drive if you aren’t 100% alert to the characteristics. So I am soliciting opinions, what are everyone’s thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2013, 03:47 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Bump..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:01 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Radius arms least painful. If you Polybush it makes install a little easier. Some like the polybush, some don't. You probably won't have propshaft troubles.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

What is "dangerous" about it... the SG 3 link is shit...
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:36 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
Radius arms least painful. If you Polybush it makes install a little easier. Some like the polybush, some don't. You probably won't have propshaft troubles.
My only concern with Poly bushing is limiting cross axle articulation, since the bushing bind seems to be a limiting factor already with the OEM rubber..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
What is "dangerous" about it... the SG 3 link is shit...
No self centering left, and it has a nasty pull when you get on the brakes hard (like when someone cuts you off) ever since the lift went in..

Old July 29th, 2013, 05:20 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

you have other issues...with that kind of pull you need to look at your brakes. The lift is amplifying the issue and changing castor isn't going to automatically fix the lack of self centering. Pull the steering stabilizer and see if the condition changes (not saying this is problem, but it does hide other steering issues)...

Report back
Old July 29th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Your swivel balls will leak at some point, it isn't going to hurt anything by installing new swivel balls and seals.
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:31 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
you have other issues...with that kind of pull you need to look at your brakes. The lift is amplifying the issue and changing castor isn't going to automatically fix the lack of self centering. Pull the steering stabilizer and see if the condition changes (not saying this is problem, but it does hide other steering issues)...

Report back
Had the brakes looked at way back when (problem started right after the lift went in), no issues were found. Truck has been off the road for a few years, trying to ramp up to putting her back into service. Have a couple of more pressing issues to deal with first (Clutch Master is leaking profusely, and Oil cooler lines, not to mention just starting her back up), but I'll put it on my list..

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:36 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
Bump..
That might be the longest time between an original post and a bump in forum history.

Old July 29th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

I was thinking the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
That might be the longest time between an original post and a bump in forum history.
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:02 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Holy cow...I never looked at the date of the original post...
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:36 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Well, I figured why re-invent the wheel..

Old July 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM
lrna04
Michael
1994 D90

Registry
Another fix for the left turn tendency is to loosen the steering box bolts that pass thru the frame. Drive around the block or jump up and down on the bumper then tighten up in the new position.
Old July 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
My only concern with Poly bushing is limiting cross axle articulation, since the bushing bind seems to be a limiting factor already with the OEM rubber..

No self centering left, and it has a nasty pull when you get on the brakes hard (like when someone cuts you off) ever since the lift went in..
I'll be ordering a set of the Orange Dynamic Slotted bushings from PolyBush on Thursday. I'll report back once the order is secured.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht