Carter Fuel pump install? Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST
Carter Fuel pump install? Help

For those who have successfully installed the carter fuel pump into the OE assembly, I have a few problems/questions.

1) The wires conected to the fuel pump assembly that connect to the actual pump have some sort of small resistor on each of the wires. Any idea what this is for? Could it be aftermarket?

2) I cannot get the round plastic peice that fits between the strainer and the bottom of the pump to fit correctly. The Carter pump seems to be about 2mm bigger. Any comments or solutions? Should I just modify the plastic peice to fit? Should I trade the pump for another one?

3) Should I just say f it and buy a whole new assembly? I was going with the carter because I read that it was a better pump, it that true?

4) The best price I found on the new assembly was $299 from Atlantic British. Anywhere else I should check?

Thanks for all the help in advance, just want my truck up and going as the weather is getting nice and that only last for about a month in these parts!

"There is no normal life Wyatt, there's just life."

Doc Holliday
Old August 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500
1) I didn't have any resistors of any kind on mine.
2) The round strainer was a B(*ch to get off but went back on the carter really tight. It could have been bigger I suppose, but the strainer did actually fit.
3) Not sure. I changed to the carter about 4k miles ago, and it seems to be doing a good job.
4) dunno.

My biggest problem was that the tubing inside the tank was epoxy'ed or glued to the pump so I had to cut it and ended up trying to find that immersible fuel line to replace it with.

Not much help here I guess. Except for the in tank fuel lines, the whole process when really easy for me.

Old August 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Dan Berry
1995 D90
My pump had shrink tubing over something that could be a resistor. I've had the D90 since new and this was the first time the tank was dropped, so it's factory.

You can get a new fuel sock.

Carter pump is fine for the rover.

British Pacific has pumps listed at $289.00
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD
Did this to mine as well. Worked great.

I can't recall having resistors on mine. I would leave them. The harness should just plug in. Does yours?

You can get a fuel sock to fit the bottom of the pump you got. I got mine at NAPA. Can't recall the part no. but they should be able to get you one if you tell them which pump you're using. I think mine was around 9 bucks for a new sock.

Mine has been running fine for almost a year. No worries. I did have to get some new tubing and clamps to get everything to work right. Again, available over the counter at any Auto parts store.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions