Carter Fuel Pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 6th, 2008, 08:09 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Carter Fuel Pump

Fuel Pump is capoot. Going with the Carter Fuel Pump alternative. I've got to the point where I need some advice on how to close things up.

Their is a slight difference on the top of the pump where the hose connects on. The LR pump (pictured on the left) is barbed where the Carter pump (pictured on the right) is smooth, making the hose a bit loose fitting. My question is, will a small stainless hose clamp suffice or do I need to replace the hose with something that's a closer fit?

Also, as a lesson learned, the strainer at the bottom comes off with a pair of pliers around the metal ring that attaches to the bottom of the pump. I got anxious and ripped it (second picture). I found a post from Matt Hurst that referenced a strainer part no. STS2 for this fuel pump. I'll have to get this tomorrow.

It's funny, when the D90 was for sale, a couple of interested peeps asked what I would do if I were keeping it. I said, "Well, it's got a 100K miles on it with the original fuel pump. I'd drop the tank and replace the pump." I feel like that Galpin fella, have 2 rovers but can only keep one on the road
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6394.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	15638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6395.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	15639  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Galpin had both of his @ MAR and competed in the trials with both.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:00 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
I just did this a couple of times(don't ask) on my 95 with the same pump. The tubing inside the assembly would not come off the pump, so I had to cut that. That forced me to get a 12" length of gasoline submersible hose to fit and use 2 stainless fuel injection clamps. I got the hose through NAPA. Its the Gates SAE 30R10. The R10 is the submersible kind. Has been working great since.

I tried using the original hose but it came loose from the pump which made me have to do all the work all over again. But I have gotten to the point that it only takes about an hour to swap the entire thing.

Plus I POR-15'ed the rear brackets and frame back there while the tank was out.

bill

Here is an example of the clamps:
http://www.cgenterprises.com/fuelfil...tion_hose_.htm

I looked for the NAPA part number but can't find it. I do know that 12" of hose is $25.
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
I feel like that Galpin fella, have 2 rovers but can only keep one on the road
Blasphemy! It just means I mostly have a spare of everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Galpin had both of his @ MAR and competed in the trials with both.
Yeah baby, what he said!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel