Carry a fire extinguisher - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:30 PM
Mtanzania
Frank
1994 D1 300tdi - Sold :-(

Carry a fire extinguisher

So I loaded up my LWB for hunting and headed out hauling my trailer/ATV combo. Everything was going GREAT...In fact, I was commenting to my dad how impressed I was with the diesel swap as I was holding 70 up a long grade fully loaded, pulling a trailer. As always, I am constantly checking my gauges, trailer, etc as I drive and I noticed what I thought was a slight amount of smoke behind me

I slowed down to check on it and even though all my gauges were normal, I saw some smoke coming into the cabin through the passenger side of the dash. I pulled onto the shoulder and turned the engine off. As I coasted to a stop, the smoke became more obvious as it poured into the passenger compartment.

I got it stopped, popped the hood and to my dismay, saw I had a small fire at the back of the engine, on the passenger side, in the area where the A/C hoses enter the firewall. I yelled at my dad to hold the hood, ran to the back and grabbed the fire extinguisher I have carried for YEARS even though people think I'm weird. One blast and the fire was out...

The only thing I can think of is that the exhaust runs beneath the transmission/transfercase and I have a minor/typical oil leak that must be leaking onto the exhaust pipe and it ended up getting hot enough to ignite it!

The damage was done and though the engine would crank, it would not start back up so I had to call a friend/mechanic with truck and trailer to come take it to his place. The only upside is that I HAD to take my sister's LR4 on my hunting trip..which I must admit pulls the trailer easier than my 93

So after about 4 hours, we were back under way though much saddened as I have spent so much time/money/energy on this LWB and this is the type of trip I built it for. I don't know yet how bad the damage is nor how much it will cost to repair but I can say this...had I not been the weirdo who carried a fire extinguisher, it would have been a total loss!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2672[1].jpg
Views:	140
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	135393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680[1].jpg
Views:	133
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	135394  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:33 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

I carry a fire extinguisher as well. But am lazy and move it from Rover to Rover. One of these days I will bite the bullet and buy one for each Rover.

Nothing weird about fire extinguishers, at least not on this forum.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old November 22nd, 2015, 05:42 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

I had a small fire on my 65 Mustang. Luckily it was in our driveway and my boat was home on its trailer. Pulled the extinguisher off the boat to put the fire out.. Now all of our cars carry two extinguishers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:46 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Glad you got the fire put out quickly, Frank.

On my 93 all the fuel lines are on the pass side near the a/c stuff.
Is that where your is? I dont remember what motor you put in this LWB?
Maybe that sound deadening/insulation in the tunnel caught fire?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old November 22nd, 2015, 06:55 PM
Green Blood
Carl Phillips
1988 90- Swiss LHD 2.5 Petrol

I always carry one in each of my cars and I've used them twice- thankfully though not on my own vehicles.
Proud restorer and former owner of '94 NAS D90 #590- back in the hands of its original owners.

And now happy owner of a 1988 Swiss-Market D90 Station Wagon.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 07:07 PM
Mtanzania
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Glad you got the fire put out quickly, Frank.

On my 93 all the fuel lines are on the pass side near the a/c stuff.
Is that where your is? I dont remember what motor you put in this LWB?
Maybe that sound deadening/insulation in the tunnel caught fire?

Thanks

My fuel lines are indeed on the passenger side but thankfully it did not appear the fire got to the fuel as even after I got it put out, I was not leaking fuel.

I installed the Isuzu 4jg2t

The padding in the tunnel was definitely charred/fire damaged..not sure whether that is where the fire started or if it was just burning.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 07:13 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
sound advice. i carry one in all the vehicles. learned that lesson courtesy of a BMW 1600-2.
..tolerant Wife...
Old November 22nd, 2015, 08:25 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post

I carry a fire extinguisher as well. But am lazy and move it from Rover to Rover. One of these days I will bite the bullet and buy one for each Rover.
That's not lazy, that's cheap !

I used to carry one, but haven't had one in years. I really should get another.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 08:37 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Good on you. Oil is the reason for a lot of fires. Glad it turned out OK.

This is why I make a point of crawling under my Rovers and keeping them clean. With my RRC....... Oh, my... that thing has as much oil leaking from it as all 8 of the other Rovers I've owned, combined.

Took me an hour to clean it up on first attempt -- with a scraper.

And I get under there every other day and wipe it clean since then.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:00 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Smart Man!! I carry one in all of our older cars, but I should probably buy one for the modern ones too - they'll be old someday, not to mention you never know when you might be able to help out someone else...
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:18 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Its also possible that the heater hose in that area leaked. Antifreeze is flammable.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:33 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Good for you. It could have been so much worse. Glad it turned out the way it did and the hunt was preserved, pardon the pun.

Hope it's any easy (ish) repair, but no matter what it takes, if all the while you are considering the possibility that it could have been a total loss bbq RRC, any work will seem minuscule.

I carry two in everything. One for the truck (BC), and one for brush (ABC). I've put out so many spot fires that I don't have to remember to replace the extinguisher as it's always new. I've now met half the fire dept. and all the cops as I usually wait for them to arrive to dump on it.

The BC probably needs a charge and I'm glad for that! ;-)
Old November 22nd, 2015, 11:47 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

My parents 1990 RR caught fire from oil leaking onto the exhaust. Glad you were prepared.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:06 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
he only thing I can think of is that the exhaust runs beneath the transmission/transfercase and I have a minor/typical oil leak that must be leaking onto the exhaust pipe and it ended up getting hot enough to ignite it!
It was transmission fluid on a hot exhaust that killed mine a few years ago. If I had an extinguisher I would have been able to save it. You will be amazed at how much damage is done in such a short time by such a little bit of fire. If there was smoke inside the cabin then the amount of damage will be, well, you won't like it.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:38 AM
cosmic88
Cosmo
87 RRC, 94 RRC, 95 D1

PO

I've carried a Halon bottle for years... less damage. I have had to put out two fires over the years, always on someone else's truck.

Oil lines and leak buildup are one thing but unseen, previous owner bullshit is what has me most concerned.

This is from a '93 LWB parts truck I am pulling apart...
Old January 1st, 2016, 02:19 PM
Mtanzania
Frank

Just an update...got her back last night. Turns out the only reason it would not run anymore was because the fire fused two wires...one of which was necessary for the injection pump to work :-)

Drove it home 25 miles last night without issue. My buddy who did the install and got it going again found that the downpipe flange had come loose...in fact one of the nuts wasn't even finger tight. It appears that enough exhaust gas/sparks were escaping at the union and being forced into the rubberized material on the firewall that it eventually caught fire! Weird stuff!

I had a custom exhaust built for it about a year ago and I assume it was never tightened correctly at the time of installation. I am going to put a second "locking" nut on each stud so that hopefully this can't happen again. I am also going to try and extend the heat shield down so that if it were to happen again, it could not come into contact with any flammable material.

Sure am glad to have it back!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire