Carolina to Florida - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 5th, 2004, 01:49 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Carolina to Florida

Hello all,
I am taking my 97 Defender to Daytona for my spring break monday and was wondering if I should worry about the long drive...My defender is top notch and everything is running perfect on it. The thing that i am worried about besides gas mileage is the fact that 80 mph for 9 hours with as minimal stops as possible. I am wondering how it will hold up at the speed for that amount of time and back....Is there certain precautions i should take before setting out...The obvious thing i have heard is AAA (the first thing for a rover owner) I used to have AAA but never used it so i did not sign up with them again....I am leaving monday so rapid replys would be great....

Thanks,
Jason Habbal
97 D90 ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2004, 03:19 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Personally, I would change the fluids in my diffs (about 15 minutes), my Transfer case (add 10 minutes) my transmission (might be a bit longer for a 97 than my 94, but no more than 30 minutes), my oil/filter (15 minutes), check my tire pressues including the spare, quick belt check, remove top, pack cooler, get music selection organized and handy and you should be all set. If you have a lot of miles on your rig, I might jack up the front tires and check the wheel bearings by seeing if there is any wear (grabbing the top and bottom of the tire and push/pull and see if it feels loose). I might even drain the radiator fluid.

This might sound hard any "normal" trucks/cars, but on a D90, you should know how to do all this--it is ridiculously easy--I do this before any major trip anyways.

Realistically, you should be fine right from the words "top notch".
Old March 5th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Jason, we moved from Jacksonville, FL to Charlotte a couple of years ago and I had to make two trips up and down in my '94 soft top. You will be fine. 90s are not the choice highway vehicle for sure, but they will get you there. On my excursion I had 2 dogs, a cat, a full Rover, my hard top on, and it was 104 through GA (I have no AC)!!!! I survived, but I couldn't wait for that first cold beer! Have a good trip!
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

12 hours to MAR nonstop 70 to 80 mph the all the way, if you keep up with your routine maintenance you will be fine.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:31 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
I concur with Hippert. the mileage and long driving is no prblem if you do regular maintenance and the truck is running well. I did 24 hours of driving in a 48 hour weekend to get to MAR and back, mostly in the dead of night. My truck ran awesome, even on the way back covered in thick VA mud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:48 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Awesome,
Thanks for the info and the quick responces....Can't wait to get down there and show off the 90....

Thanks,

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old March 5th, 2004, 09:58 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Jason, are your traveling with other vehicles? No big deal if you aren't. I found it comical on long trips with other non '97 D90's, having to pull over for gas every 1.5-2 hours. When every other car, even the R380 D90's still has at least a quarter of a tank more than you.

On a long trip, you'll become the butt of all road stop jokes.

Or maybe that's just me....

Remember, their is no warning light for low gas either...

Old March 5th, 2004, 10:04 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

We did 2.5 days of 75mph highway driving cross the US and then back again in our D90. Just watch your temp, and I checked the oil every other gas stop, but had no issues other than wind noise.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Remember, their is no warning light for low gas either... [/B][/QUOTE]

Do we really have no warning light??? I have been thinking mine has been broken for 10 years now!
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:28 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Pop the two screws off on that light panel and look behind the amber "Low Fuel" warning light. No connections to it.

Old March 5th, 2004, 10:36 AM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

I agree with Dave. He is the BUTT of all road stop jokes and for that matter road speed.

CB Kearney Fine Woodworking
250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

Old March 5th, 2004, 10:44 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Sounds like a good opportunity to burn out some of the carbon build up in the heads.
Old March 5th, 2004, 10:46 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
He is the BUTT of all road stop jokes and for that matter road speed.

Thanks Kearney. I can count on you to keep it real.

You finally wake up after your long winter snooze or something? It's about time you got that thing back on the trail!

Old March 5th, 2004, 10:55 AM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

I have two weeks off starting the 15th. Where and when do you want to go? Or are you currently relagated to the Su Bar Ru (said in the snootiest Wellesley lock-jaw accent you can think.)

The reality is I am hung over, my kids are taking a test, and I am trying to get lost in cyber space. I think I have quadrupled my post count this morning.

250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:00 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Subaru for now. I'll have to borrow Jesse's truck if I want to do anything....

We should take a trip up north to the shop. Check things out.

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:12 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Well that sounds good....Can't wait for my gas bill for the month after this trip and back.....lol....Thanks guys,

Jason Habbal

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

I would be up for that. Have we successfully hijacked this thread? Boy is Chris V going to be pissed. Send me an e-mail and we can figure out a day. I sold the Vette so I am about to tear into my project.

250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:15 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
That is sweet news. Check your email....I sent you a good link.

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:41 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Jason,
I am headed to Ft Lauderdale this afternoon for my spring break. Maybe I'll see you down the road somewhere. Good Luck with the Drive!

Mike
Old March 5th, 2004, 11:56 AM
mattwhite
Matt White
94 D-90

Don't stop at Ft. Lauderdale, keep giong and spend the week in the keys

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions