Carb swap? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 14th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Carb swap?

Hello, I am looking to get a bit more oomph from the landy and maybe a few more mpg. One of these ways apparently is to swap out the stromberg/zenith carbs. I have heard people recommend edelbrock. I'm not sure which carb to get. Also, should I go manual choke or something else. I have an early 3.5l v8 so I don't have EFi nor do I think I'm ready to do such an operation. Advice please!

BTW: I did do a search on google and on the forum search tool

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-105918490.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	89685
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Edelbrock Performer 500. Make sure to install an off road float kit.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...erformer.shtml
http://www.v8engines.com/faq-carb.htm

I would first make sure your cam and timing gear are in good shape as that is the main cause of low power.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 14th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you want better mileage, then I would do a bolt on TBI kit. More money, but it will give you the right fuelling all of the time right out of the box and always start and work...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2014, 03:20 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you want better mileage, then I would do a bolt on TBI kit. More money, but it will give you the right fuelling all of the time right out of the box and always start and work...
Stupid question (since I have the same problem) What is a TBI kit?
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

throttle body injection

It's made up from all the EFI parts off of a ~1987 to 1995 GM truck. Usually the kit omits spark control (just like the rover efi). It is a great option for engines that never had a factory EFI option.

The hardest part of installing these is running the fuel lines and mounting the pump, but once you've done that you might as well install the factory rover 14CUX EFI. It's not much more difficult or complex.

I've done several IH and AMC engines with home made kits. This page shows some of the more technical details behind the system

http://www.diy-efi.org/gmecm/ecm_info/1227747/
Old February 14th, 2014, 04:10 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertf View Post
..you might as well install the factory rover 14CUX EFI. It's not much more difficult or complex.
Except you end up with a 20 year old design using unreliable sensors and fuel mapping that is wrong and does not properly adjust.

A modern complete TBI kit will be easy to install and will self learn while using modern, easy to find sensors that are reliable. There are a dozen on the market. No farting around building stuff or becoming an expert.

If you were going to do a home made system, then I would suggest a Megasquirt kit out of one of the UK guys that do them specifically for the Rover V8. Not as simple, but cheaper a bit.

Old February 14th, 2014, 04:16 PM
robertf
Robert F
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Except you end up with a 20 year old design using unreliable sensors and fuel mapping that is wrong and does not properly adjust.

A modern complete TBI kit will be easy to install and will self learn while using modern, easy to find sensors that are reliable. There are a dozen on the market. No farting around building stuff or becoming an expert.
Modern TBI? I think we are talking about different kits. I meant howell or afi (or junkyard) you are probably talking about that ez-efi or whatever it is that includes a wideband for self tuning.

They ALL use 25+ year old designs for the sensors and actuators

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions