Carb Replacement and Engine Questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM
1983 One Ten County, Blue/White
Carb Replacement and Engine Questions

I have finally started some minor investigation to begin work getting my One Ten up and running. My engine had to be replaced prior to import (from 200 TDi to its current 3.5L V8). I have found the engine serial, and discovered it is for a 1970-1983 RR, 9.35cr (#11D04680A). Are there any sights out there that can give me exact info on my particular engine (date of manufacture, any other specs, etc...)?

Also, the carb needs to be replaced. It currently has a Zenith 175CD. What do you recommend I replace it with? Mechanic in Germany recommended getting Holley, but I am open to recommendations on brand and specific model for this particular engine. Also, as a stupid newbie question, I assume that I need to order (2) carbs of whatever type I decide on; is this correct?

Old December 29th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"
Edelbrock intake holley carb, is a good set up.

"If you can't stand behind our Soldiers, than by all means feel free to stand in front of them"

Unknown Author 716-898-8153
Old December 29th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
I have one with an edlebrock manifold and edlebrock carb that I'm happy with.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work
Old December 30th, 2013, 09:01 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Welcome Woody, this topic comes up from time to time and there are some guys on this board that have done some great jobs converting. I have owned a 3.5L with a Holley carb and I'm here to tell you it is a nice improvement. It is a bit tougher to find folks that can service the original carbs but they are out there. Maybe search for a local MG or Jaguar club if you need help in the meantime. But to your questions, search this forum and you should find the prior posts that mention what components others have used with pics of the finished product as well.

Old December 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250
I used to swap to 1 3/4" SU carbs, much easier to set up and tune but probably very rare in the US nowadays, probably rare this side of the pond too now I come to think of it.
Common on 3.5 rover saloons.
Mike Hammond
Diesels.....great when they're going and so easy to work on.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, engine