Car rolls in gear.. Don't know why? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 4th, 2006, 10:34 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Car rolls in gear.. Don't know why?

I noticed this problem a while ago but then it went away for a while. If parked on a hill and left in gear (no handbrake) the car slowly rolls. I checked under the hood and I can see the belts slowly turning. The hill does not even have to be very steep, just a slight grade and it rolls very slowly. The truck drives fine, i don't notice any other issues with it. Any thoughts? It's a 95 SW with a 4.6 conversion, relatively new clutch, and transmission was replced 3 years ago to the lt 430.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
rvrsrvc
Trevor Griffiths
71 109 double cab

Hmm, that's odd. I've seen plenty of automatic Rangies with Borg Warner/viscous coupling,broken axles or cv's that will creep even when in park. HAd one creep across the lot and stop against a Rolls Royce. ) If a manual is in gear and turning the engine, that I would first surmise a compression problem. Or valve/camshaft timing. But you indicated it runs well.
Can you confirm compression numbers on the engine or distributor timing?
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:41 AM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
This is odd. Mine did the same thing at my office the other day, it crept about 15 feet. When I started it, there was an odd ticking noise from the enigne ( a lot of them ) that eventually went away after it ran for a bit. It seems to be ok. so are you saying we should check something? Mine is a 3.9L.

maybe its an attempted migration.

bill
Advertisement

Old February 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
I would agree with Trevor in that normally the compression in the engine will prevent the truck from rolling when in gear unless on a steep grade. If it is rolling as you say I would certainly suspect something amiss with the engine compression. I guess for now you's better use your handbrake when parked.
Old February 4th, 2006, 12:48 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I have a crack in the manifold if that contributes to anything. Mine also makes a hardcore ticking noise but I chock it up to the manifold leak. I do not have compression numbers nor do I know how to test for it. Are there any nuances I can look for when driving that might be indicative of poor compression. There is also oil around the bottom of the valve cover which i guess means a bad seal. Any of these things might contrinute ya think?
Old February 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

if the ground you are parking on is anything but flat you need to use your parking brake.

If you are in a forward gear and rolling backwards then you are pumping the oil out of your oil pump and starving the engine for oil when starting up. Don't keep doing this!

On a lighter note I have a slopped driveway where I had parked my D90. I went to a party down the street(walked) and when I came home that night(tore up) my D90 was parked in a different spot!

I thought someone took it for a joy ride! I looked it over then went and got the keys to pull it forward only to have the engine have super loud knock! Oh great they took it for a joy ride and toasted the engine! I quickly shut if off and decided to take care of it in the morning.

The next day when I went to check things out again I realized that I didn't set the ebrake.
Old February 4th, 2006, 07:43 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I will try setting it reverse tomorrow and see what is does.
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

I wasn't recommending putting it in a different gear but to use the hand brake. If yours is not working then park it on flat ground or use wheel chocks.
Old February 5th, 2006, 03:19 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

A vehicle with a MT rolls when you don't set the brake? I don't anything remarkable here. That's why they come with parking brakes, after all.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I know this is comparing apples and oranges but I tried this with 2003 BMW 540 6-speed and that car didn't budge. I had two guys pushing it down hill and it still would not move in first gear with the handbrake OFF. My brother also has a 94 D-90 and I didn't notice his doing it.
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Lots of variables involved in things, but most cars will move in gear with the parking brake off. The gear ratio that it's in, the weight, compression ratios, cylinder size, cylinder wear, tire size, steepness of the ground.... all can vary, and this makes some cars more able to move than others. Heck, even where the pistons and valves happen to be at a given time can make a difference.

Absolutely nothing to worry about as long as the parking brake holds it in place when you need it to.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 5th, 2006, 10:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i know a guy that had an Fj40 and it would roll down hill, you could watch it. i think it was just worn out but none the less it rolled down the hill, granted it took some time but it would get there eventually

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions