car insurance - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 8th, 2005, 09:57 AM
car insurance

there was a post here recently about specialty car insurance. i'm considering purchasing a modified series vehicle with a new 300 tdi and i'm shopping around for car insurance. my current carrier, state farm, won't cover it. any ideas?

"There is absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act."
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
What's State Farm's problem? I think any major carrier provides agreed value coverage. I know Commerce does, although I'm slow and haven't done it yet. They tell me I have to get it appraised every year - which I don't believe and which is a pain.

Old September 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Eric Besore
agreed value

I had this same issue. I think I had Progressive back in the day when I had my 1967 Series IIA. Basically I would get it appraised once a year (it was around $100) to have an "expert" say that it was worth x, based on the unique market for that vehicle, and then it was insured for exactly x.

It's actually a good thing in a weird sort of way, as this way if something were to happen to the vehicle there should be no quibbling over how much it's worth, they should pay you exactly x. However, generally this means the insurance costs more.

With any other car, if there is a complete loss, at the time of the loss, they look at vehicles of similar condition, make, model, in the area where you live and cash you out on an average. Because Series vehicles are more rare, if there wasn't a pre-agreed value it would be a bitch for them to come up with a figure.

I also believe the "gray market value" term was thrown around allot too when I was looking for insurance for it - as they consider it to be one of these vehicles if it was uncommon.
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
If you don't drive it to work, Grundy (and the cheaper competitors) will insure it.

There is an original engine question but I would put replaced with newer 111hp rover diesel and it should fly through (they are trying to eliminate 400hp hot rods not what you have)
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions