Car hauler question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2005, 05:40 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Car hauler question

Just bought a car hauler for the 90 and my question is, what is the best way to secure the truck to the trailer? This trailer has 4 d-rings on the deck, so I'm assuming I want to use heavy-duty ratchet straps but I'm not sure what to anchor to on the truck. I have a Rockware bumper with 2 shackle recovery points and a receiver-mounted shackle recovery point in the rear. Are these acceptable to ratchet to or should I be using other parts of the truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2005, 09:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Whatever you do make sure you anchor the axles to the trailor too.
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Get a set of JATE rings, that's what the british military does. Just make sure to tighten it down enough to compress the suspension, which will prevent it from bouncing around.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2005, 09:58 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Phil, the bumper in the back is fine. What do you have up front? I have trailered stuff all over and never had a problem.
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM
DaveHuny
Van Der Waal
none

1. Secure the axles. This alone will prevent the vehicle from hopping around on the trailer. If your 90's suspension can handle driving on any road, it can handle the slight bouncing from the springs while on a trailer.

2. If you feel like it, you can secure any other part, ie, frame, bumper. However, a 90 SW with 100 lb tire on a roof rack doesn't wiggle around enough to justify this.

3. Don't just secure from the frame. What happens is the whole weight of the vehicle stretches each tie down strap with each bounce, and it can slide the truck around a little, especially if it rains during your trip.

4. The only time vehicle movers crank the suspension down is when they are transporting a car with a unibody chassis with independent suspension which could bottom out on the trailer, or they don't want 30,000 lbs of cars all bouncing in sync with each other and rolling the trailer or something.

Hope that helps.
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Thanks for the replies. Randy, I have the RW front bumper w/2 recovery points.

I did some research on the net and apparently this is a bit more technical than I imagined. As Ron and Dave said, it's imperative that you use the axles to tie down. 2" straps, rated 1 1/2 times the weight of the vehicle. Two around the front axle pulling forward, 2 around the rear pulling rearwards. It's also important that the angle of the straps from the axle to the tie-down point on the deck is between 25 -35 degrees. Here's a good link of anyone is interested. This place also has some really nice tie-downs.

http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com..._down_tips.htm
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:49 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I wouldn't trust my D-90 to nylon straps. I've used Transport grade chain and chain binders when trailering: one chain in front, one in back. Same as I use to trailer a tractor or any other piece of heavy equipment.

Stock '90's have two lashing rings in the back, and two in the front. I run the back chain through the two in the back, and tighten down with the chain binder. The two in the front got taken off when I installed the ARB bumper, but I use the two recovery points on the bumper instead (another option is those JATE rings that are designed to be installed simultaneously with the bumper).

With steel chains, I don't worry about stretching or chafing. This chain is hardened and can't even be cut with bolt cutters.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions