Car died and won't start. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 30th, 2007, 06:26 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Car died and won't start.

Hello all. Currently trying to dissect all the won't start threads but for any who are feeling charitable I hope you don't mind if I post as well. Drop to pickup daughter from daycare on way home stopped to pick up mail. Turned off car, got mail, hopped back in, turned the key and nothing but a couple of clicks from the relays under the fuse box. No cranking or nothing - can hear the fuel pump though. Starter has been replaced 1 year ago and the battery showed 12.3 on the meter. Help!!!!! Flat surface so no way to roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Batt. sounds a little low but it should certainly turn over the truck. Sounds like a starter going to me. If you can't roll it a little try tapping on the starter with a wrench, extension, hammer, whatever. The clicking is probably the solonoid engaging but the motor isn't turning. This sometimes happens if you have a dead section in the starter motor and it just happens to stop turning and resting in just the right(wrong) spot. Frequently a few taps will get it going. Starter may be under warranty, so if this turns out to be the problem I would check into that as well.
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Could be a loose wire to the starter too...

Get it fixed so you can get make it to Uwharrie this weekend.

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2007, 07:35 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Had the same problem with my 90 and my 110. With the 90 it was just a wasted battery. It read 12.2 V after a two day charge. I thought that was enough to turn the motor over. Checked everything still just clicking. Bought a new battery and never had a problem for the last six months I owned it. I must add that it would not start from charger/starter but would start up from a jump from another vehicle. My 110 had a loose connection at the starter. Hope this is of some help. Mike
Old April 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, good call on connections. I would check both the battery connections, the connection to the body and the connections at the starter itself.
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Starter motor?

It could be the starter motor. Mine literally crapped out after starting fine 5 minutes before. If you hear the starter faintly wine when the key is engaged, it is the starter motor.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:01 AM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Don't know why I did'nt try to jumpstart. Bad battery according to my wrench. I figured 12.3 volts would be enough to start it when I hooked up the charger. Good news is the battery dates back to 1999!!!! Thanks for the quick replies.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:49 AM
jimngo
Jim Ngo
1994 D90 #80

What's important is not the voltage the battery produces, but the current it can produce under load and how long it can keep producing it. A voltmeter draws almost no current so doesn't produce much load. Car battery testers put a real load on the battery and measure the voltage drop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start