Can't Wait Until I get My Hands On - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500
Can't Wait Until I get My Hands On

The engineer who designed the headlight for the '94 D-90. Had to change the left headlight this weekend. unscrewed 13 screws before I could plug the light. Another four screws had to be unscrewed to release the bulb from it frame. Compare this with my '74 CJ5 where I think I only need to uscrew 4 screws. What do you expect from a country that drives on the wrong side of the road.

The Wizard
To paraphase "Oddball" (Donald Sutlerland, "Kelly's Heros", 1970) "I only drive 'em, I don't know how to fix them."
1994 Defender 90 No. 500
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
My 356 Porsche - 1 screw to remove headlight assembly - spring clip holds headlight in bucket

My long gone 1984 190D Mercedes - slide up access door behind headlight - undo spring clip (no tools) - push headlight out front of car - replace

A friend of mine's Mitsubishi - disassemble half the front end of the car - many, many fasteners

Old February 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)
Yeah, do a VW new beetle...
Owner's manual reads; "Take vehicle to dealer", no shit, take it to the dealer! You have to remove the airbox, and that's nothing compared to the passenger's side, I'm pretty sure you have to remove the alternator.
"Pump one is on for the black Jeep"
"It's not a Jeep"
Old February 13th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Chris V

See now if you were smart while you were in there trying to replace the head lamp you would have replaced the wiring and added an upgraded headlamp wiring harness with a relay in it . This way when you do the inevitable H4- Ecode up grade with higher wattage bulbs you wont burn out the headlamp switch
Old February 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Brian B
94 ST
I used to have a New Beetle TDI when I was commuting and I remember reading that. One of my neighbors had one too and he showed me the trick to changing out the headlights. As I recall, there's a latch behind the headlight that once released will allow you to rotate the entire headlight assembly and pull it forward out of the car. Replace the bulb and push it back in. It can be done in few minutes with out tools. LR dealerships aren't the only rip off.
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
WOW that sucks, I can change my bulbs by opening the hood and grabbing the bulb from behind!
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions