Can't Shift Into Low Range - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 21st, 2010, 05:42 PM
rr1
john
1997 D-90

Can't Shift Into Low Range

Hoping you guys can help: I have a '97 D-90 and the transfer case shifter seems to be frozen. When I try to shift it into low range (while in neutral, and at < 5 mph or stopped) it won't budge... It has engaged in the past, but now seems frozen.

I usually try to shift it into low every few months to keep it working, but I may have waited too long this time (yeah, I know, I should wheel it more often...). I have tried forcing it, but I'm afraid something's going to snap.... Help a brother out... Thx,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Check the linkage... If you force it, you could crack or bend the L bracket in the linkage.

Old May 21st, 2010, 06:03 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

There is a lockout solenoid on the transfer case that will prevent you from going to lo if it fails, easy and cheap fix. Happened to Marchand on the first day of our Colorado trip a few years ago.
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2010, 06:38 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY View Post
There is a lockout solenoid on the transfer case that will prevent you from going to lo if it fails, easy and cheap fix. Happened to Marchand on the first day of our Colorado trip a few years ago.
Really? I know to keep a spare brake light switch in each of the '97s in the event of a locked out A/T shifter, but am not familiar with a lockout solenoid on the T-Case.

Maybe David can chime in with more info?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:58 AM
texmoto
david summers
99 Discovery II

The safety lock out solenoid is located on the top of the transfer case. It has a metal pin that retracts when the transmission is placed in neutral. When the solenoid fails, the pin will not retract, keeping one from shifting from high to low (or vise versa) whenever the POS decides to fail. Its held on by a cover with 4 small bolts (10mm ?). Remove the solenoid and discard it or cut off the pin and replace it.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmoto View Post
The safety lock out solenoid is located on the top of the transfer case. It has a metal pin that retracts when the transmission is placed in neutral. When the solenoid fails, the pin will not retract, keeping one from shifting from high to low (or vise versa) whenever the POS decides to fail. Its held on by a cover with 4 small bolts (10mm ?). Remove the solenoid and discard it or cut off the pin and replace it.
Thank you, David (texmoto).
Old January 6th, 2012, 11:32 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

I'm having this problem with my '95. The shifter just won't budge at all. It's frozen in High and unlocked, thankfully. Any clues as to how to free up the linkage?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions