Can't get D2 T-case into D1! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2004, 08:21 PM
James
James Gall
95 D1, 4.6, 35's, Dana 60

Can't get D2 T-case into D1!

Got the old t-case from my 95 D1 out and swapped out the output shaft to the D2 t-case. I cannot get the transmission shaft to go into the new D2 t-case. The spline depth appears to be different. How can I make it work? Is there an adapter?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2004, 11:09 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I have no idea it maybe worth your while to post on the DISCOWEB.org ot the DISCO2.COM
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:20 PM
gearco
James T. Johnston, Jr.
1986 D110

I've heard nothing in the drive train on the D2 will fit the D1. Diffs are different as are many other things. I was going to try to fit D2 axle housings to an older 110 with drum brakes in the rear and was told the D1s would fit fine, but the D2s wouldn't work. I say give up now, surrender!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

James,
The transfer box should physically bolt up...I just did an LT230 conversion to a Classic Range Rover using a D2 box with no problems. How far from bolting up are they? Has the input gear from the transfer box been out for inspection? It can be put in backwards and that will cause the two units not to come together close enough to bolt up...also, check that there are dowel pins in all the right places and that you don't have two butting together. To fit the D2 box to the Defender you will have to...change the front output flange, block off unneeded sensor holes...they are mostly 14x1.25mm thread size and you can use oil drain plugs that size for the purpose. The rear output housing will have to be swapped as the D2 casting is not machined for the speedo drive. The high/low shift lever is different, too...swap the housing so the linkage will fit. When you bolt the two units together, mind where the bolts go...make sure that the 2 short bolts fit back into the holes they came from...if you mix them up and put the long bolts in the short holes, you will break the gears and lock up the box. The D2 box also utilizes a shift solenoid which your original box did not have and your truck has no way to actuate...take the cover off, pull the solenoid and reseal the now empty cover. The D2 box can be made to fit.

Good luck with your project, Rob Dassler
Old July 16th, 2004, 08:14 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey James, when I did my T-case swap it was the biggest PITA to get the new case on, the splines on mine lokked fine, it was just getting it all lined up. It took me about an hour with help to get it lined up just right. It makes it much harder if you are doing this in your drive way as the ground is not level. Deffinitly check the things Rob said. Then have another go at it.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:52 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Ancient thread back to life. About to put a D2 box into the 110 and wanted to see if Rob or anyone else can expound at all on what all needs to be done. Of particular interest are where (exactly) the short bolts go, what housings need to be transferred over and the linkage configuration. Both are sitting on the bench and the solenoid switch is now blanked off. It appears that the linkage won't swap over easily and I may need to swap parking brake assemblies.

Guidance here would be much appreciated.

Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
James,
The transfer box should physically bolt up...I just did an LT230 conversion to a Classic Range Rover using a D2 box with no problems. How far from bolting up are they? Has the input gear from the transfer box been out for inspection? It can be put in backwards and that will cause the two units not to come together close enough to bolt up...also, check that there are dowel pins in all the right places and that you don't have two butting together. To fit the D2 box to the Defender you will have to...change the front output flange, block off unneeded sensor holes...they are mostly 14x1.25mm thread size and you can use oil drain plugs that size for the purpose. The rear output housing will have to be swapped as the D2 casting is not machined for the speedo drive. The high/low shift lever is different, too...swap the housing so the linkage will fit. When you bolt the two units together, mind where the bolts go...make sure that the 2 short bolts fit back into the holes they came from...if you mix them up and put the long bolts in the short holes, you will break the gears and lock up the box. The D2 box also utilizes a shift solenoid which your original box did not have and your truck has no way to actuate...take the cover off, pull the solenoid and reseal the now empty cover. The D2 box can be made to fit.

Good luck with your project, Rob Dassler

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions