Can't figure out this wheel wobble.... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 20th, 2014, 10:21 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Can't figure out this wheel wobble....

So I cannot for the life of me seem to resolve the wheel wobble my D90 300tdi has... been working with a local defender guy too who has helped through the process but now I'm stumped.... Any help and ideas would be appreciated.

Had the death wobble and finally got around to replacing the king pin bearings and swivel balls as they were old and pitted, also the tie rod ends were replaced. The wobble felt as though it had gone away, but after a day or two I started to feel a slight wobble again, which was not as bad as before king pins were done, and at the same speed of 50-55mph. Called up the local defender expert (John Putins, awesome guy) and he came down and checked it out and felt as though the front axle felt sturdy so he recommended getting the wheels balanced. After that it felt like the slight wobble went away and all was good for a few short trips around town, then again I've been having some steering wobble right around 50-55mph again; however, I kind of get the feel that there is a bit more body movement than just steering wobble...

So my steering damper looks toast, ordered a new one and going to replace that shortly, but do people think that a bad damper could cause a harmonic wobble like a death wobble?? I'm also thinking possibly the front prop may be out, when I first moved to CO I brought the D90 in to get emissions done and the mechanic dropped the front prop and may not have put it back on correctly???

Totally getting lost on this one and I just want my 90 running well again....

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2014, 10:42 PM
Ash
Ash Heller
OM606 110 Frankenstein
D-90 Source Vendor

Have you replaced the panhard rod bushings lately? They'll create slop in the steering system which can cause a shimmy like you're experiencing.

A steering damper really just masks the underlying issues in the system, but if yours appears worn out it couldn't hurt to replace.

-Ash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

352-572-3236

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 20th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Are you running tubes in your rims?
Double check and be sure.
If so, I had one that simply would not balance no matter what we did. Removed tube in that tire/wheel and all was well.
Before there was a similar death wobble between 65-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 20th, 2014, 11:05 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

I replaced the panhard rod to a new terrafirma one about 5k miles ago and it came with new bushes installed. But possibly the wheel wobble from the bad king pin bearings may have prematurely damaged the bushings??? I'll get under the 90 in the morning and check them out, they were polybushes if my memory serves me well...

Also there are no tubes, and the guys at the local goodyear shop that did the balance said they all came out "spot on".

Thanks for the tips.
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:10 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ditch the polybushes on everything except suspension.

/
/
/
/
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:25 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Ditch the polybushes on everything except suspension.
reason??? I haven't looked too much into this so I'm interested if it has shown to be a benefit. But most of what I've seen in the bushing arguments seems to all be personal preference, and people arguing back and forth endlessly.
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:55 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
I replaced the panhard rod to a new terrafirma one about 5k miles ago and it came with new bushes installed. But possibly the wheel wobble from the bad king pin bearings may have prematurely damaged the bushings??? I'll get under the 90 in the morning and check them out, they were polybushes if my memory serves me well...

Also there are no tubes, and the guys at the local goodyear shop that did the balance said they all came out "spot on".

Thanks for the tips.
Here's an anecdote for ya. My buddy installed a brand new TF adjustable panhard rod with the supplied polys. It wouldn't pass inspection in St Louis. My RTE panhard has had some yellow poly bushing on the axle side since I got it used a few years ago. So IDK.
Old June 20th, 2014, 11:59 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
If you have checked out everything else and the steering damper is truly junk then replacing it may solve the issue. They dont typically wear out, but if all the oil escapes they will stop functioning as intended.
Old June 21st, 2014, 09:07 AM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
If you have checked out everything else and the steering damper is truly junk then replacing it may solve the issue. They dont typically wear out, but if all the oil escapes they will stop functioning as intended.
Yea I removed the damper and spring, its the terrafirma RTC one, and there was little resistance when pushing back and forth... plus it was rather dirty from oil and dirt collecting on it, and there were no leaks directly above it so figured oil was from the damper.

------ Follow up post added June 21st, 2014 07:09 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishEH View Post
Here's an anecdote for ya. My buddy installed a brand new TF adjustable panhard rod with the supplied polys. It wouldn't pass inspection in St Louis. My RTE panhard has had some yellow poly bushing on the axle side since I got it used a few years ago. So IDK.
Hey Brett! Well maybe then I'll get some new bushes for it and switch those out too.
Old June 28th, 2014, 01:36 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
only one way for the front prop to go in. unless he separated the two halves then they are guaranteed to be in the proper phase.

------ Follow up post added June 28th, 2014 01:37 PM ------

my orange polybushes are fine. no problems after installing.
Old June 28th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

when you installed the new swivel balls did you set the pre-load?
Old June 28th, 2014, 10:28 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Milks View Post
when you installed the new swivel balls did you set the pre-load?
yup, 12-15 lbs... Still waiting on my new damper to get in to see if that makes the difference.
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Don't rely on a damper to mask wobble.
I dont even run a damper on my truck and I have no wobble issues.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Something is loose so it may be time to double check everything. Start with the easiest and continue until you find it.
Old June 29th, 2014, 07:37 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Bent wheel? Old tired tires?

Old June 29th, 2014, 02:04 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Don't rely on a damper to mask wobble.
I dont even run a damper on my truck and I have no wobble issues.

Yea I didn't think it could be a bad damper causing a harmonic wobble, though at least i'm replacing it. I'm going to replace the panhard rod bushings as I've been told that the terrafirma bushes it comes with are trash.

Then if that still hasn't solved it I'm wondering if it may be the front prop shaft, as I have lifted the truck and do hit the trail with it I am wondering maybe if this may cause premature failure of the u-joints, though I did replace them within under 1k miles. Maybe the angle is to great and I need a DC prop shaft, anyone use the Tom Woods ones?

------ Follow up post added June 29th, 2014 12:07 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I know you said they wer new , but double check the panhard bushings. Actually check all of the bushings. Also check the tie rod ends.

-Jeff
The tie rod ends were replace with the swivel balls, so I hope its not them... but I will be doing the panhard rod bushes, and checked the radius arm bushes and they all seem good.

------ Follow up post added June 29th, 2014 12:08 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Bent wheel? Old tired tires?
just had the wheels balanced, and the tires maybe have 4-5k miles on them
Old June 29th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Panhard bushes can definitely contribute.

I would work through all the suspects with the steering damper removed, and only replace it when the wobble is resolved.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 29th, 2014, 04:36 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Panhard bushes can definitely contribute.

I would work through all the suspects with the steering damper removed, and only replace it when the wobble is resolved.

I removed the steering damper earlier last week and there was no resistance from pushing by hand, so that's why I'm replacing that right away. I will also do the panhard rod bushings at the same time.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:55 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

quick update, damper came in and I switched it out. Not much of a difference, as expected. Hopefully I'll get to doing the panhard rod bushings this weekend.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:16 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by USLandy View Post
quick update, damper came in and I switched it out. Not much of a difference, as expected. Hopefully I'll get to doing the panhard rod bushings this weekend.
I had a similar problem with my 90, since mine is very old I started replacing any part that looked old. I replaced the steering box, it was leaking, I replaced the springs, shocks, rotors, calipers, pads, I balanced and rotated the tires. New RTC steering damper. While most of these parts needed to be replaced none of them helped with the problem. With the help from people on the form I was told to set the pre tension on the swivel pins and replace the pan hard bushing, that did the trick, no more death wobble, good luck,
Oh, my steering feels 100% better and I learned a lot about the front end,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel