Can't figure out this wheel wobble.... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Same here on crazy steering and swivel pin tension. A telltale sign was my swivel balls leaked. After setting the tension to 15-17 lbs per ball, the crazy steering problems went away.

My symptoms were lots of wandering around the road, extremely uncertain feeling when going around corners, truck would virtually want to leap into adjacent lanes on hard braking and bumpy roads at highway speeds. All fixed via swivel ball tension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Bent wheel? Old tired tires?
I echo this. Apparently my wheels have been bent for 10 years and it wasn't until last year when I had a tire balanced that someone told me it was bent.

Then this time around I had them check it, all four were bent .

New wheels and radial tires. No tubes....ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss.

Also make sure the tires are in round. Non-round tires...well...you know. I know you said they were new but just double check.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:35 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
could also be rear trailing arm/frame bushings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:19 PM
USLandy
Andrew
defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanDiesel View Post
I had a similar problem with my 90, since mine is very old I started replacing any part that looked old. I replaced the steering box, it was leaking, I replaced the springs, shocks, rotors, calipers, pads, I balanced and rotated the tires. New RTC steering damper. While most of these parts needed to be replaced none of them helped with the problem. With the help from people on the form I was told to set the pre tension on the swivel pins and replace the pan hard bushing, that did the trick, no more death wobble, good luck,
Oh, my steering feels 100% better and I learned a lot about the front end,
Did all new swivel balls as they were pitted, set the pre load with seals off between 12-15lbs. I think the stated tension is 12-15lbs, so would it be ok to go above...?? before I do that I'll do the panhard rod bushings and see if that fixes it.

------ Follow up post added July 2nd, 2014 09:23 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
could also be rear trailing arm/frame bushings.
I have been wondering this myself, might be why I do feel some of the shake in the seat. I have the QT rear trailing arms with the rose joint connections, and the rose joint isn't very forgiving as it has no bushing. I really like the looks of the Gigglepin rear trailing arms but I don't want to drop that kind of cash on them. Standard terrafirma ones may have to do...

------ Follow up post added July 2nd, 2014 09:26 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR Max View Post
I echo this. Apparently my wheels have been bent for 10 years and it wasn't until last year when I had a tire balanced that someone told me it was bent.

Then this time around I had them check it, all four were bent .

New wheels and radial tires. No tubes....ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss.

Also make sure the tires are in round. Non-round tires...well...you know. I know you said they were new but just double check.
Just had them balanced, how do you check if they are bent, stick a straight edge, maybe carpenters level up against them ...?? I run a set of zu alloys and I don't think they would bend like the old steel rims, more of snap or crack??

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wheel