can't change my tire???? help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2008, 09:51 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

can't change my tire???? help

the rear wheel has fused itself to the hub. nothing i try will release the bond. lug nuts removed, wheel stays put ??? I have tap the wheel, banged the wheel, released the jack let the truck drop, driven the truck over a speed bump with loose lugs, wheel stays put. The wheel was last off and replaced with-in the last year with no problem??? any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2008, 10:18 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Is this a joke?
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:27 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I've heard of this, but not too this extent. I would get some PB Blaster and spray the shit out of it, let it sit a couple hours, then do it again and again. It should come off then, may take a little muscle.

Hope you don't need it tomorrow AM,

Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2008, 10:30 PM
SOUTHPAW26
Kelly
1994 D90-1993 NAS 110#280

My grandfather owned a tire store for the past 35 years. I worked with him for several. With the truck jacked up you should be able to kit the bottom of the tire and knock it loose fairly easy. Just be sure your jack is secure you are on flat ground befroe you go kicking.
Old June 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

unfortunately not a joke,
Its sitting in a bath of wd 40 right now under the weight of the truck, with loose lugs. Time will tell? I have never seen anything like it. . As I mentioned before, After kicking, tapping, and pounding, I released the jack, with the lug nuts removed, and dropped the weight of the truck, several times, to try and break the seal. no luck yet...
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

What we do at the shop is leave one lug nut on loose, then smack the hell out of it from the back with a BFH...we use a 4' dead blow. BTW, its always a good idea to put a little anti-seize around the hub before reinstalling wheels. The problem is that the aluminum wheel and steel hub fuse together from all the galvanic corrosion that develops. Anti-seize makes them come off easily from then on.
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:22 AM
lynchee
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699

Kick the bottom of the wheel, kick the top of the wheel, kick the bottom of the wheel, kick the top of the wheel. Continue until the wheel comes off. I have done it before and couldn't believe how much I had to kick that fuc@#%! thing.
Have fun.
Old June 16th, 2008, 08:52 AM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

Thanks to the encouragement, the beatings continued, and the wheel began to give way, and eventually came off. I have had to encourage a wheel or two to come off in the past but never to this extent. We're back on the road again.

What is the product that Andrew mentioned in a previous post (above) that can be put on to help prevent this in the future? Anti-seize? I suppose I should be taking off all my wheels, I guess off all the rovers, while on home turf. I hope I don't wind up with a lot of spare tire wheels...

Thanks again!
Old June 16th, 2008, 09:28 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Anti-seize. Put it on the lug nuts and the hub.
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I personally don't put it on the lug nuts because I have seen too many people loose wheels and I don't want to encourage them to loosen up, plus I generally use an impact to take them off and haven't had a problem, but I take a wire brush to the hub to clean off the loose corrosion, then put this stuff around the hub, and a little dab between each stud. You should be able to find it at any NAPA, Autozone, etc.

BTW, this stuff works well as a brake quiet agent as well if you put a little on the back of your brake pads where they touch the caliper too.
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:27 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Just a follow up. In the past what I've don't to get the sticky wheels off: Obviously the PB Blaster gets sprayed all over the hub. The remove all but two nuts, back those off about 1/4" inflate the tires to their maximum and start rocking the truck side to side with all your mite! usually works within a minute or two and there is no hammering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
I personally don't put it on the lug nuts because I have seen too many people loose wheels and I don't want to encourage them to loosen up, plus I generally use an impact to take them off and haven't had a problem, but I take a wire brush to the hub to clean off the loose corrosion, then put this stuff around the hub, and a little dab between each stud. You should be able to find it at any NAPA, Autozone, etc.

BTW, this stuff works well as a brake quiet agent as well if you put a little on the back of your brake pads where they touch the caliper too.

The thing is, he's here in New York..... this is a normal part of living in the rust belt. If you don't put anti-sieze on the lug nuts, you WILL snap off some of the studs at some point. A Mazda pickup I used to drive lost 3 of the 5 on one wheel once upon a time. If you're running aluminum rims it's even worse, you have to heavily coat the contact surface between the rim and the hub. Same too between brake rotors and the hub.

When people have the lug nuts come off, it's usually because they don't know how to properly seat and torque them down. Rusty lug nuts may hold better, but it's just covering up the problem. But that's a topic for a whole different post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
ttegt
Thomas Tegtmeier
1995 Defender 90

Thanks again for all ideas and info. I am going to get a bottle of anti-sieze and have at it!
-Thomas
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:12 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

just a thought, but could you put a hi-lift between the wheels and try to push it off? might not be too safe, but might work!
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
keep the nuts loose and drive it around the block. make some sharp turns as well..
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:05 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
keep the nuts loose and drive it around the block. make some sharp turns as well..

LMAO
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
I do that all the time in my old Jeeps to get the rear brake drums off!

Semper Fi!
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
LOL... laugh all you want. It works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tire