Can't catch a break ! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Can't catch a break !

I replaced my turn signal/horn/high beam switch earlier this summer. It broke in the first two days (high beam part) of the switch. So I bought another new wonderfull Lucas part and on this one if you push the horn part in it doesn't disconnect when you let go. @ around $75 a pop I'm getting pissed. Being electrical parts they aren't returnable. Anyone got a cheap source or a used one known to be good. Pulling the steering wheel and column shrouds is getting old fast. You can't pay for quality when dealing with Lucas crap. There is apparently no quality control/testing of these parts @ all. When I plugged the new one in today the horn immediately started blowing. I unplugged it, jostled it around and tried again and this time no horn, tried all other functions- good to go, so tried pushing in on the end of the stalk to try the horn and even though the stalk pops right back out the switch stays closed.

@#$%^&* !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

ugh...mine fell apart on the PO and he lost the spring. I have a brand new one sitting in the box...I sure hope it doesn't fail as quickly as yours. Did you buy it from a LR dealer? If so, it should be under a parts warranty for 1yr. I would think. If not, maybe you can morph the two together to create one good one!
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Not sure if todays failure came from AB, RN or RDS. Definately not from Land Rover Annapolis. You have to feed them the part number/pre-pay for the special order/ follow up for when it comes in 'cause they don't/won't call you. Bought it back in August with a bunch of other stuff. Going looking through reciepts tonight with beer in hand ! Thinking it may have been George-should be interesting......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I wonder if anyone's ever done a substitution fro this piece of crap? Having a 93 RR I much prefer that, as well it's wiper switch with the variable intermittent. A worthwhile upgrade if doable.

Also, at least fit a relay for the lights to take the heat of it.
Old October 13th, 2007, 08:20 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Switches

Tons of them on ebayUK pretty cheap.
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
Doug
You have email. Your PM box is full.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Emptied it out Eric-hit me again.

Art- couldn't agree more. I also have a black 93 lwb which is a great truck and has all the creature comforts. Amazing how austere they made the 90 in an attemt to make it more rugged/dependable. More stuff breaks on the 90 than the LWB and the things that break aren't associated with hard use. I want to install an lwb auto dimming rear view mirror with the maplights. That will be a nice addition to a station wagon topped truck and easy.
Old October 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I don't like the LR autodimming mirror - just a disaster waiting to happen. I'm sure there are more dependable equivalents.

I would install one with a built-in compass. Might as well get all the niceties!
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

Eric @ Atlantic British to the rescue ! Apparently I bought the first one of these about a year ago from Eric and just installed it/broke it in June. He's going to warranty it for me- Awesome !

Thanks again Eric- hoping next time I see you it will be in your 110 TDI.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions