Can you make a 2.5L Turbo more reliable? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2015, 03:46 AM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Red face Can you make a 2.5L Turbo more reliable?

Hello,
Purchased a 1988 Italian D90 with only 30,000 miles. It has the 2.5L Turbo Diesel.
While the engine is still fresh, is there anything we can do to make it more reliable, better performance etc..? (Without a motor swap! )

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2015, 07:46 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Intercooler will help.
The larger the better.

If you were able to drive a twin of your ride with a more powerful engine, like a TDI, 4JB1-T, Iveco 2.8, OM617 you would reconsider because all these make the vehicle much more driveable and bolt right in.
When you push the petal all the way down on the 4JB1-T for example, the speed increases about 10MPH per second.
The change is so phenomenal over what you have now, it's like getting of the riding lawn mower and driving a sports car in terms of speed.

The joke use to be when I had a 19J with the courage to pull out on the Interstate, just once...
A car 5 miles back nearly hit me and now I take the alternate routes.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 9th, 2015, 07:48 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Ha! You're after the holy grail my man, Long term Reliability and Performance. If you look at the 25 year old trucks that have survived throughout The ROW and coming to the states, the over whelming majority are still in stock configuration. So my guess is if you stick to that formula you're good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2015, 06:00 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Intercooler probably wouldn't hurt.
Old October 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Ha! You're after the holy grail my man, Long term Reliability and Performance. If you look at the 25 year old trucks that have survived throughout The ROW and coming to the states, the over whelming majority are still in stock configuration. So my guess is if you stick to that formula you're good.
Thought I saw you briefly at MAR, but we didn't get a chance to catch up.
I think you need to drive my 110 at Uwharrie and see exactly what I mean... you absolutely can have both, my friend...
I've done it these years past.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 9th, 2015, 06:35 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Thought I saw you briefly at MAR, but we didn't get a chance to catch up. I think you need to drive my 110 at Uwharrie and see exactly what I mean... you absolutely can have both, my friend... I've done it these years past.
Hey Rob, I couldnt stay up with you once you changed into those Blue High Tops! . I totally agree, better performance and reliability can be had with a different motor/drive train combination. The way I read his post was how can he get better performance and increase reliability out of a TD. I believe stock configurations will give you your best chance and once you increase tire size or gear ratios the slope gets slippery. To combat that of course a stronger more modern diesel may be the ticket. Not a cheap ticket but there's no free lunches in Roverville, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 10th, 2015, 05:15 PM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I put an intercooler on mine, big difference. Makes for better running engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions