Defender Source Forum banner

Can you fab a diesel exhaust like a V8 exhaust?

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  evilfij 
#1 ·
I need a new exhaust for my RHD 2.5L NA Diesel and would much prefer to fabricate one than buy it (considering the exchange rate and shipping, etc). I know that with a V8 you can just pick a performance muffler and pretty much bolt up the whole thing. Is a diesel any different? Can you just match the size muffler and resonator and go or is there something funky about diesel? I'd hate to LOSE power from making a bad exhaust choice.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You have a 2.5 NA Diesel, if you lost any power it would start driving backwards! :naughty Now seriously, you can have a shop fab up an exaust. Should be a 30min $140-$200 job. Just buy any old muffler, dynotech is a cheapo, like $29 and forget the resonator. They do nothing for you. I put a 2.5in on mine when I had it and I think that the power went from 64 hp to like 64.25HP so that was pretty cool. But that extra .25 could have been from the $40 K&N. Ahhh, live and learn...

#4 ·
Heres what you do. Mufflers are for bitches :) To be honest, the noise level hardly changes at all when you take off the muffler, the turbo cuts it up and it sounds good, not like a gasser. Any muffler will do, just get a high flow. When I switched to the 3in no muffler my engine really came alive. Remember, Diesels need no backpressure, unlike gas motors. So the bigger, the better. 3in might be a little overkill, but works for me.

Attachments

#6 ·
nope. not at all. Can't tell you why. You point it off to the side and you can't even smell it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.