Can stock SW spare carrier handle steelies? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Can stock SW spare carrier handle steelies?

I am about to swap out my alloys and BFG ATs for NATO/steelies with TrXus MTs on my SW for the winter. The steelies with MTs are noticeably heavier than the alloys/ATs and my concern is that my stock spare carrier or rear door will not like the additional weight. Anybody have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Well, considering that even the stock wheel has a tendency to overstress the hinges on the door, I would say that if you are going to an even heavier setup, I would plan to replace the tire carrier with a swing away. NAS 110's are notorious for sagging rear doors.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
KMarshall
Kevin Marshall
1993 NAS D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Well, considering that even the stock wheel has a tendency to overstress the hinges on the door, I would say that if you are going to an even heavier setup, I would plan to replace the tire carrier with a swing away. NAS 110's are notorious for sagging rear doors.
Who's NAS 110 swing aways do you like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Good question...I know Chance has the one from DAP and is really happy with it. I was going to order that one based on his recommendation, but ended up getting one from John Craddock. The one I ordered looked identical in the picture, but with the tanking GBP it was more cost effective to order from them than DAP. I haven't received it yet, hopefully in the next couple of days, and I'll let you know what I think then. The DAP one is quite affordable though.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Why not just keep the alloy on the rear door? Nobody would even notice. Run a tire cover. Cheaper than dropping $400 bucks on a tire carrier.

If you do want to drop some cash, I have a carrier from UV Holdings (purchased through Atantic British...call Eric) It's cool because it has a place to mount your hi-lift. I think was just a bit cheaper than the Mantec.

I run 255/85s and the Hi-lift still fits on the carrier with that tire on it.
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
Why not just keep the alloy on the rear door? Nobody would even notice. Run a tire cover. Cheaper than dropping $400 bucks on a tire carrier.
I kept my alloy on last year (with a cover) and may go that route again this year unless I find a cheapo used swing away carrier.
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:40 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I found a used ST Tire carrier and installed it on my SW. I really like it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, spare, steelies