Can stock radio accept CD changer? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 22nd, 2004, 12:49 PM
d90Monkey
James
1995 D90

Can stock radio accept CD changer?

Hello I'm a newb here. Just bought my dream car a red 95 D90. Longtime fan of the Defender and by some miracle a low miles D90 popped up at ECR and I grabbed it. Well enough gushing here is my question.

In the owners manual it goes over the operation of the CD changer so I am assuming the radio has the ability to work with one. My D90 did not have one installed and I was wondering if I bought a remote CD changer would it be compatible with the stock radio?

Thanks for any and all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:15 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well depends on what you want to do. If you go to Best Buy you can buy any CD changer and connect it to your stock radio with an RF adapter, you won't be able to control it through your stock radio but it will come with a remote control to do that.

Or, if you want to control it from your stock stereo, then you need to buy a stock CD changer and possibly the cable for it also, I am not 100% on that as I have never done it. Going this rout will cost allot more $$$$.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM
Mils
Ed/Miller
'95 Defender ST

I have a '95 D-90 with the stock LR radio in the console. I have subsequently learned that the LR radio is a Clarion and you can purchase a Clarion DC-625 six disc cd changer that is plug-in and play. I purchased mine from an Ebay source for $158.00 brand new in the box with a 1-year warranty plus $13.00 s&h. You can also puchase additional six disc cd magazines for $25.00 each. Compared to other sources, this turned out to be quite a buy. You can contact Henry Ferrer via email at: tunesforu2@aol.com. He accepted payment via Paypal which provides you some protection. I am very happy with mine. - EMM
Advertisement

Old March 23rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Keep checking out the board for Changers for sale....I bought one from Jan off here for 87 Bucks...The stock one sells for almost 700 most places....Just look around....As for it working it should plug and play if you get the Clarion Changer and the cable....I am not 100% sure about the 95 but the 97's came stock with clarion....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:16 AM
d90Monkey
James
1995 D90

Cool thanks for all help. I will look into Clarion and see about a changer !!
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Make sure if you get one off here try your best to get the cable with it..I have found that the cable may be harder to find than the changer itself....

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:09 PM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

if you're not stuck on stayin with the stock radio, there is another option. I just had a pioneer premier cd player installed that handles 3 types of audio formats. It will play standard CD's, CD's in MP3 format, and WMA format. The last two ( i am told) allow for up to 10hrs of music on a single CD. Thats a hell of a lot more than you can get out of a six disk changer.

I believe it is a model deh-7600. cost me $310 without install charges.

went ahead and spent the cash for some new speakers too, now I can actually hear some music goin down the road.

JS
Old March 25th, 2004, 03:10 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Cables are available - I ordered one online to fit OEM CD changer to OEM head unit.
Old March 25th, 2004, 09:50 AM
d90Monkey
James
1995 D90

Is there a part # or cable # to look for?

Ed Miller when you bought your unit did it come with the right cables?
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Mils
Ed/Miller
'95 Defender ST

The CD Changer I purchased came in an unopened box complete with the cable (about 6' worth) and misc. brackets and hardware to do the install. Also came with the 6-disc cartridge and installation destructions.

I am installing it inside of a 12" Tuffy Console and there is just the one mulit-pin cable from the player to the radio. It's a simple plug and play. I opted to buy a new never out of the box unit rather than buy used and the price was way under what LRNA wants or other sources I was able to locate on the web. I had reservations about buying electronics from someone off of Ebay and used Paypal. But the unit was everything he said it was. At the time (last month) he had eight units available. I have subsequently noticed that he is selling other electronic equipment for different makes through his Ebay store and apparently no one has complained via Ebay as he has a good rating.

It really is your choice...go new, used or I have heard some have spent up to $3k to install sound systems in their trucks. Go figure? I hope you get something you are pleased with. Go Rover.
Old March 25th, 2004, 05:05 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

OK - Need help here.

Crutchfield has the Clarion DC-625 for $170

Will it mate perfectly with my stock head unit?.... is it the stock CD changer? disguised under a low sticker price?

Should I buy, or should I just try to get my old CD changer (aka skippy) fixed?
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:19 PM
jorge
JORGE ESPINOZA
97 ST WHITE MODS SUPERCHARGED

Registry
The actual stock Clarion cd player is the 605 which will fit in the 97 console tray perfectly.I sent my CD player for service but was told it would take 3 weeks,after the 1st week I went and bought the 605 which is the stock player just missing the L.R. logo and the price.I payed 225 for the new player in 2001.The 625 will work but is much smaller than the stock & 605 cd player. 605 player came with the cable ,all I did was install cd and hook the cable and powered right up with no further work involved
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
my changer just pissed me off this weekend I just ordered the clarion DC i am anxious to see if it is plug and play I doubt it will be but I am gonna give it a go. any suggestions on speakers? I was reluctant to go to sprwal mart and chekc out thier speaker display and kinda liked some pioneers. good lows and highs htey also had mobil1 syn for 23 for the big jugs......
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:12 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
my changer just pissed me off this weekend I just ordered the clarion DC i am anxious to see if it is plug and play I doubt it will be but I am gonna give it a go.
That's what I did Phil and it worked! I was all set to use an FM modulator, but didn't need it because the DIN was a direct fit into the OEM deck.

DJ
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I think it is "C BUS" or whatever. I think its 13 pin. I was happy since I really like the stock radio and use the tape player for old boot legs
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Gkase
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD

speakers

As to your speaker question...I just installed 4 MB Quart 6.5" speakers I got from ebay for about $90 bucks per pair...you have to enlarge the stock speaker holes just a little with nibblers (easy since panels are plastic) and the MB Quart kit comes with templates and spacers so everything is an easy install and pro looking...they sound fantastic even with stock head unit...plenty of power with no distortion at the high levels you need for highway listening...
George
Old May 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I think it is "C BUS" or whatever. I think its 13 pin. I was happy since I really like the stock radio and use the tape player for old boot legs

Yes, our Clarions have a C-Bus connection. Has anyone seen something that will connect an ipod via the Cbus? There is one company I found offering custom cables for factory stereos. Their cost for the Rover was something around $250, but that seems high.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:23 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Ask www.roverville.us
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:47 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i took my old cd changer apart to get the magazine out and a CD got had gotten hung up. took it out cleaned it up works like a charm. Crutchfields return policy is easy they even provide you with shipping labels. cant complain.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, cd, changer, radio