Can one person lift a motor out of a D110 rolling chassis without a hoist? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 20th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Carlos "kbuby" Nuñez
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley
On Saturday night, I carried a girl down a flight of stairs at this club without knowing her skirt was hiked up, no wonder everyone was watching, laughin n pointing at the bottom. She was like 135 lbs which isn't exactly lite for a chick.

Old April 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM
George Kase
1983 110 200Tdi CSW LHD
Here's one way to do it...quoted from this web page:

"The old engine removed from the 1971 Land-Rover without an engine crane!

Here's how I did it:

Dismantle the donor land-Rover down to rolling chassis on the lawn, remove prop shafts & handbrake assembly. Then jack the chassis up slightly under the gearbox cross member just enough to take the weight. Then using a power saw, cut the chassis in the middle, just behind the jack. Push the rear chassis complete with axle, springs & wheels out of the way. Lower the jack & pull it firmly out of the way (watch your toes). Undo the gearbox mounting bolts & remove gearbox from engine. this can be lifted out quite easily single handed. Undo the engine mounting bolts, then using a plank of wood, lever the engine from under the front of the crankshaft. The engine then falls out onto the lawn. Now move the front part of the chassis wheelbarrow fashion, out of the way........ Then borrow John Bolt's engine crane, to drop the engine onto a miniature railway truck, so as to remove offending engine from lawn before anyone sees the mess! Finally, mow the lawn where the Land-Rover has been stood & repair the bald patches of lawn where the radiator coolant killed the grass.....!!!!"

I don't know...sounds like a plan to me!

Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Long story short, I wussed out and the mechanic up the road let me borrow his after he said he had no desire to do the motor in the lotus (I could not figure how to do the lotus motor without a hoist unless I dropped it through the bottom which requires removing the transmission), but I could borrow his crane as he never uses it.

The way I was going to do it was to jack up the frame really high, put two 4x4s under the engine supported by jackstands on either side and then lower the frame and pull the frame out the back.

*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

110, d110, motor