Can of worms - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 21st, 2015, 02:48 PM
Robert Wavers
Can of worms

So my D90 was delivered. I tried to manage my expectations prior to delivery, buying online based on pictures is never easy. The truck is definitely rougher than i was expecting, but overall seems to be ok. More rust on the cross member than I was expecting, paint is less than ideal. Lots of orange peel, and poor masking when it was done. First thing I did was get that ugly snorkel off of it. I want to fix any issues I can find, but I can't modify it too much until I get it imported.

Some things I've found so far:
Highbeams do not work
Spot lights on brush guard do not work (need to trace the wiring to see how it was done)
Blower fan does not work
There is an extra switch on the dash, that I have no idea what it does...

So I opened the fuse box tonight to take a look and, well that is not what I was hoping to find. A copper wire jammed into the the low power blower motor line and multiple fuses with the wrong amperage.

My first thought is to replace every fuse with a correct amperage fuse as shown on the fuse box cover. But scanning through some thread I've seen a lot of pictures of fuseboxes that have multiple fuses that don't match what I was expecting.

Does anyone see any problems with starting by swapping in all new fuses?

Any things to be careful of as I start down the path of looking for any bugs with what I know so far?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4591.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	118927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4592.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	118928  

Old April 21st, 2015, 02:59 PM
I would do one at a time and check after every one.

Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
What did I miss?
Old April 21st, 2015, 03:02 PM
'94 NAS 90 SW (not POE)
Stupid question, and I apologize in advance if I missed it, but what kind of vehicle do you have??? Everyone says D90, and assumes every Land Rover 90" wheel base is the same.

General answers. You shouldn't have a problem putting in new fuses assuming PO didn't change wiring and hence load capacitance, etc etc.

It seems your issues aren't that major, so enjoy your new baby and welcome to the world of fixing shit till it's perfect and then fixing shit to keep it perfect.

Also put a location, I'm sure someone local has seen or done this a bunch of times.
Formerly Coniston Green D90 NAS ST w/Badger Top,etc... soon to be so much more
Old April 21st, 2015, 03:06 PM
David Frank
1995 ST #2615
Your spots should be on a relay as well, so check for that.
Old April 21st, 2015, 04:00 PM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Damn, the stories of eff'd Euro trucks seems almost never ending these days and probably the catalyst for annual 15% appreciation the NAS trucks have been seeing.

I wish you luck getting this sq'd. The forum here can be a huge help.
Old April 21st, 2015, 04:10 PM
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
That photo made me LOL, seriously. Sorry, but that is funny. Why is it that owner's of these truck can't wire something properly?

You will have to go through each circuit one by one and figure out where everything is messed up. Get the correct fuses in there. Fuses are design to protect the wiring and having the wrong ones in there will only lead to burned out wires.

At least you don't have a glass fuse panel...
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:17 AM
Robert Wavers
Thanks guys. The base was out of fuses when I checked yesterday. Should have time next weekend to start the process.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions