Can it get any better! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Can it get any better!

Well I pulled the intake of the old engine the 3.9 and it had allot of crud in it, I don't really care but I needed to get the cam out. Then I pulled the intake off the 4.0, what a pain that was! I had to pry on it with 2 screwdivers to get it to pop! As soon as I got it off it things took a turn for the worse, it looks as though coolant is or was getting into the back 2 cylinders , not sure if this means that I now have to do head gaskets , or if a new vally gasket will fix this. Here's some pics what's everyone think?

Does anyone have an old Disel laying around they don't want? I'm getting tiered of these dam V8s, I'll even take a N/A 2.5!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01325.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	2887   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01326.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	2888  

Name:	DSC01327.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	2889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01328.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	2890  

Name:	DSC01329.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	2891  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
air freight a tdi over from the UK - call craddock or equicar and see if they've got something. Cant hurt to ask.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:10 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

it never rains it pours

Follow-up Post:

off to the UK wednesday for a long weekend do you want me to bring back a 300tdi as hand luggage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its only about 700 lbs with trans and tcase - put an airline nametage on it and call it extra baggage.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:50 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL, it would be cool but I don't think I would stand a chanc on getting a TDI in it before the 22nd, if I'm lucky I'll get this engine up and running before then. I have to admit up to thhat point I was running into all kinds of little problems and kinda having fun working my way around them on both engines. Then when I finnly got the intake off I just stopped in my tracks and decided to call it a day. It's better to find it now that I have everything appart, I just didn't think putting an engine in was going to be this big of a deal, I pulled the old one, and installed the new one in about 3 days of work, and the rest has taken me months.
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:22 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Mike,

Maybe I missed something in the picture, but things look normal. The last holes are the water jacket not intake/exhaust--is that what you were refering to! I hope so---no biggie. If not, what are you looking at that that has the water signs? I have just rebuilt or done head gaskets on three rovers and yours looks normal.

Best regards---
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

COOOOOOL! Thats what I wanted to hear! I didn't even think of that! Do you clean any of the grim off of the rockers? I was thinking a quick bath couldn't hurt but if it's not going to make a differancee then I won't bother.

Thanks Chris!
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Looks like a normal higher milage engine to me too. Seems to have been running a bit rich, on gas that doesn't have much in the way of detergents in it. As mentioned, the front and rearmost passages in the head are for the waterjacket.

How long has that engine been sitting? You did say you're doing the cam and lifters, correct?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:48 PM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
I was thinking a quick bath couldn't hurt but if it's not going to make a differancee then I won't bother.
Does anyone else just think that's funny?
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Looks like a normal higher milage engine to me too. Seems to have been running a bit rich, on gas that doesn't have much in the way of detergents in it. As mentioned, the front and rearmost passages in the head are for the waterjacket.

How long has that engine been sitting? You did say you're doing the cam and lifters, correct?

-Hans
As of now I was just pulling the 4.0 cam out and putting the 3.9 cam in (from the dirty engine), I wasn't going to replace anything with new. The engine has been sitting for well over a year now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souza
Does anyone else just think that's funny?
lol I didn't catch that.
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mike Go for The Tdi....... Jimmy I wish you lived closer. Have to ship a box back to the uk and I would have given it to you to post over there. Damnit
Old April 4th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Mike Go for The Tdi.......
Do you have a spare laying around that I can have for real cheap? I don't want a 300 or a 2.8 anyway, not enought power for me. I need at least 3.9 liters to go diesel.

Does anyone clean off there rockers and junk or should I just slap it back together?
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I just put my rockers back together. If you're swapping cams between engines, make sure to keep the lifters organized, and swap them too. They have to stay on the same lobes too, otherwise everything could go bad in just a few thousand miles.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:20 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Mike Go for The Tdi....... Jimmy I wish you lived closer. Have to ship a box back to the uk and I would have given it to you to post over there. Damnit
I am leaving wednesday night 5pm if you can get it to me by then i will post it for you
Old April 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Looks ok to me.

I would not mess around cleaning anything. Only the loose stuff you can wipe off with a rag, without using a solvent (the solvent will break it up and if you don't get it 100% clean the shit will travel through the engine at some point in the future).

This is a lesson to everyone. 4.0 block in a 3.9 is ok but you want to keep all the 3.9 ancilaries/front cover/cam/etc etc etc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions