Defender Source Forum banner

can I remove a/c compressor belt?

Tags
compressor
5K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Campbell 
#1 ·
HI,
I have found out that the annoying engine whine I'm getting is coming from my A/C compressor:mad I want to cut the belt for the winter to stop the sound. I was wondering if this would cause a problem. Also, if I leave it off all winter would it fail faster or slower then if it where operating. Thanks for the help.

#2 ·
You can take it off. I would frist try pulling the connector apart on top of the compressor as it is the control for the clutch and it should not be getting any power but sometimes it can get shorted out. If that does not fix it then take off the belt. the pully and the AC compressor should both spin very easily. If the Clutch is not releasing then I would say that it is best not to have the belt on as you would be running the compressor all the time. I realy don't thing you would be hurting anything with the belt off anyway.

#3 ·
Thanks Mike,
So if I pull out the electric connector then that might stop the clutch from spinning? Is the connetor an electrical plug? Also do you think leaving the compressor inactive all winter will make it likley or less likley to fail come summer. Sorry for all the questions I am cunfused, which happens often.

#6 ·
LOL. Did you meet the owner? Most are pretty cool.

If the compressor was working properly then you would probly not use it all winter in wich case it would never spin the compressor itself. I think it would be OK.

The connector on top of mine is made to be pulled apart it is an automotive type connector.

What I would do is pull the belt off (just unhook it for this part) and try spinning the Compressor and the pully below it as either of these could make noise. They should both spin very easily.

If not then I would disconnect the clutch like I said.
If it is the pully then I would spray it with WD-40 to try and make it work better.

If pulling the connector on the compressor does not fix it then I would remove the belt and say the clutch is no good.

From what I have heard you should run the AC a couple times over the winter to keep it all lubed up. But if your clutch is sticking then I would distonnect it (take off the belt) so that it i is not running all the time, wich I think would do more dasmage.

#10 ·
From what I have found in trying to change my AC compressor to an Air compressor there is oil in the compressor, there is a nut in the top to add oil, it should not need any oil as it is life time sealed and there is only a small amount in the bottom you can check it by making a dip stick with a coat hanger, you will need to turn the compressor by hand on order to get the internals to line up so you can put the dip stick in all the way. the stick should go in about 4"and the oil should be about .25" to .5" deep. to fill it you should use SANDEN SP-20 lubericant. I have no idea where you get thew stuff.

But I agree that you should turn the AC on once a week or so to make sure nothing fill get stuck from sitting in the same place too long. But like I said if your clutch is sticking I would disconnect it as you don't want it running all the time.

#12 ·
If the AC works that means the clutch is engaging. Have someone turn it on and off with the engine running while you watch it. The center of the pully on the AC should stop turning when the AC is off.

Do you think that ti may be the belt is not tight?

#18 ·
rich, you may also try some belt dresser it could be the belt and not the compressor.
I know some cars use the ac in conjuction with the defroster but i dont think the d90 is that sophisticated.

#20 ·
RIch,

The first thing you need to do is see what is making the noise.

If the clutch is stuck on (unlikely) you can see this because it will spin all the time. It is the disc on the front (not sure what the compressor looks like on the 95 style system). It could be an electrical short, most likely it would be that the temp switch (either 3 way or knob) is bad.

More likely is that the bearing on the AC compressor is on the way out. Usually spraying something on the bearing will quiet it down for a little bit (do not use WD 40, use something thicker, lithium grease or preferrably Wurth HS2000 or similar)

If the bearing is on the way out there is not much you can do. Have to rebuild or replace.

It could aslo be the fan as mentioned, if it looks suspect, replace or in your case, cut it off and replace in summer.

You should run the AC time to time in winter and it does help with defrosting as it removes humidity but in anything other than the belt senario your compressor is on the way out so it is not a big issue.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.