Can I legally build a Defender - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 20th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
And Land Rovers don't have a persona attached?

The common denominator in ALL Land Rover enthusiast is that we are weird. Every enthusiast I have ever met is weird, myself included. There is no rational justification for the love that we show for these shitboxes. It is a disease. That is why we are so supportive of one another. That is the line in the sand. Your either in, or you out.

Old September 20th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Abu Buckwheat
2005 Defender 110 TD5 Station
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Cheap defenders available in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Seriously good late model army surplus. Let us know how the negotiations and border crossings go.
Speaking of The Disease seriously, forget Pakistan, they are all army trash Series IIIs, same with Egypt and Sudan. Iraq only has armored Sankey riot control vehicles and a few 130 Ambulances ... I looked for 3 years and only saw one 110 and a series II in private hands. And our pals in Afghanistan? If they are not UK/Turkish Army Snatches, Ranger RSOVs or the Czech WMIKs... they are all Humanitarian agency TD5s and Pumas from Tax-free Fleet Sales out of Gibraltar. Unimportable, every one.

For the adventurous importer the Uber cheap LHD LR heaven is LIBYA ... no, really, besides heaps of Series IIIs, 83-88s 110s and 90s are EVERYWHERE!! Its the biggest secret in the LR world. I am writing an article for LR Monthly about Libyan Rovers of the Revolution.

$500 you can get a S3 109 or 1983 110 stage 1. $1,500-2,000 bucks cash USD can get you a beatup but, low rust great LHD 1988 110 Hicap pickup, 105mm recoiless rifle not included, but you have to get it to Malta or Tunesia with proper "export" documentation ($500) your ownself. LR parts out the yang ... if I can find clean 110 dashboards you will all stop laughing!!

Old September 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM
From a person who is finishing up a full frame-off restoration completed over 12 months:

1. Completely disassemble the truck.
2. Remove old paint, replace bad body panels, and repaint everything in your color of choice.
3. Refresh all rubber seals and bushings.
4. Hot dip galvanize everything made of steel. EVERYTHING.
5. Reassemble.

That's all that matters. Keep it simple. The only thing your interior needs is seats. In the end, it's still just a Defender and it's going to have dings, dents, and lots of little issues. Just make it clean and rust free.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Have you considered an LR3?

Originally Posted by pendy
I'm here for the D's

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions