Can I leave the sway bars off? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Can I leave the sway bars off?

I took the front sway bar off to seal of the cross seals and never put it back on. I swear the ride is better and thinking about getting rid of the rear one as well.

What am I risking with leaving them off? I really cant think of any cons....

Appreciate the help / thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Covered before, but most Rest Of World (ROW) Defenders do not have sway or anti-sway bars.
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:16 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Mine are off, both front and rear. No issues.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Handling does suffer.
Old August 6th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

If you guys could see the roll oversteer numbers on the stock rover rear suspension, I think a lot of you would rethink running without a rear swaybar. The rear rover suspension is great in a few ways, don't get me wrong, but unless you are on a stock suspension with overstiff springs, it's monkey madness in corners.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I took mine off to increase articulation but in hindsight I don't think the increase was all that worth it. I expected more. I'm running Med-Duty OME springs, btw.
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:24 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I thought it was a little scary with no sway bars, I am running the front.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
If you guys could see the roll oversteer numbers on the stock rover rear suspension, I think a lot of you would rethink running without a rear swaybar. The rear rover suspension is great in a few ways, don't get me wrong, but unless you are on a stock suspension with overstiff springs, it's monkey madness in corners.
Correct me if I am wrong, but these trucks seem very front heavy - at least my ST w/ ARB & winch does. So doesn't a rear sway help keep the rear tires planted/level?

What about the front sway? Does it make much difference - either in helping cornering by keepint it on or better articulation by taking it off?

Right now, I have both bolted on and while it's not my old S4, it's certainly manageable.
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Oh for christ sakes... If you want to drive around corners fast get in a sports car....
Old August 6th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Mine were gone when I bought mine. The truck weaves on the highway during emergency slow downs and I'd kinda like to get a set.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:17 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Oh for christ sakes... If you want to drive around corners fast get in a sports car....
Perfect...

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I kept mine on for the highway safety factor.
Old August 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy
Mine were gone when I bought mine. The truck weaves on the highway during emergency slow downs and I'd kinda like to get a set.
Is your truck lifted? That sounds more like the symptom of lost of castor from a suspension lift...

Old August 7th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Correct me if I am wrong, but these trucks seem very front heavy - at least my ST w/ ARB & winch does. So doesn't a rear sway help keep the rear tires planted/level?

What about the front sway? Does it make much difference - either in helping cornering by keepint it on or better articulation by taking it off?

Right now, I have both bolted on and while it's not my old S4, it's certainly manageable.
It has been a long time since I had a normal rover, so please take any info with a grain of salt.

I don't know exactly the weight difference front to rear on a stock rover. I know it's front heavy on mine for sure, but the rear end is surprisingly where most of the sway comes from. Or maybe not surprising. You see, the radius arms actually rely on a sway bar style force to locate the axle. If you are running a stock suspension, the springs are overly stiff to compensate. So you would be fine if you just take it into account when you drive.

I would pull one off, drive around, and then pull the other off, put one back on and drive around. It is up to you what you think is acceptable. When I was 18 I DD'd a truck that looking back on it, I wouldn't have even driven to a trail.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
Thats dumb. What if you like to go fast offroad? Is that not okay? What if you want a truck thats good for more than one thing. You CAN have it all.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM
d90dan
Dan Berry
1995 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by don

Here's my experience with running rear sway bars only, do keep in mind this is with a street/strip grand national. Soft springs and shock setup, much like the D90.

I found running only the rear bar made the car handle much like stock. This felt the best when on the road and would still allowed the front to move when racing. The problem is at the corning limit there was severe snap oversteer. Emergency lane changes get pretty interesting.

I run no swaybars on my D90. You get use to it.
Old August 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thats dumb. What if you like to go fast offroad? Is that not okay? What if you want a truck thats good for more than one thing. You CAN have it all.

Come on, posting pictures of your truck is silly. It is a completely different animal....

The stock 90 without swaybars is magic at speed off road. I truly doubt anything can keep up to one on a gravel road, except maybe a 110. Nobody has ever caught up to me, that is for sure.

My point is that if driving around corner fast on the road is what you want a 90 will ALWAYS be crap. Any truck will always be crap.
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I ran without the rear sway on stock suspension for many thousands of miles. I didnt really notice it was gone.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
outfield
Steve
1995 D-90 SW #351

Registry
I'm with Red90 100%. If I want to go around corners fast I take the Porsche out.

I have a 1995 SW with 285 tires, OME HD front and Med duty rear springs, winch and bumper in front. I have never run sway bars in the 4 years i have been driving this rig. The suspension on these rigs is very balance, it can be my daily driver or my weekend trail rig. I can run trails, and drive home without having to mess with swaybar disconnects becuase I don't have sway bars.

I have driven TJ's, YJ's, CJ's, JK's and XJ's and all needed sway bars on the street to feel safe. My D-90 is great without them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions