Can anyone explain what happens after the light switch is turned on? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2005, 10:10 PM
solihul
Rover

Can anyone explain what happens after the light switch is turned on?

I replaced the light switch in my 110 (the switch that gives you parking and headlights). On my vehicle when you switch all the way forward to get headlights NOTHING HAPPENS. This is usually a switch failure however in this case the switch works fine. I assume that there must be a failure along the "dipper" circuit as the fog light switch and high/low beam are all incorporated into the system. Any idea how to go from the light switch to the dipper switch and how that all works?

Sorry if it's not clear but it's a bit of a complicated issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Does anything happen when you switch to the first position on the headlight switch? The park lights should come on. The fog lights could be on their own circuit, and the high beams will come on if the switch is pulled back no matter what. Co you have a VOM (volt ohm meter)? can you check the switch to see if it is working? Can you measure the voltage at the switch? And one last thing I have to ask (been a problem for 2 people I know here and they found it after doing allot of unnecessary work) did you check the fuse (not just look at it but pull it out and replace it with a good one or make sure it passes current?
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:20 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Not meaning to talk down, but did you reseat/check the fuses and relays for the lights. More than once while wiring lights, I've accidently grounded the light and burnt the fuse. It might do you well to go one step further and purchase the $50 dual relay setup to take the load off your light switch as well. It will prevent you from experiencing the dreaded light switch melt problem.

You don't happen to know Rich Brannigan on the island?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2005, 07:28 AM
solihul
Rover

Mike,

The parking lights come on normally at position one. Position two (headlights) does nothing but testing the switch indicated that it does work and has power. I'm going to replace all the fuses with new ones (on my vehicle which is a UK Spec RHD 110) all the fuese are the old style glass/metal fuses. I have always suspected it is a fuse but not able to diagnose it as such. Also, the fog light went out at the same time as the lights. It's bloody frustrating.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, switch