can a rear main seal be replaced with motor in? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 17th, 2012, 06:03 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
can a rear main seal be replaced with motor in?

while i have the grearbox out and i yank off the clutch, and my leak is coming from the rear main seal, can it be replaced easily or does the crank have to come out? i thought you could pull it out and replace it without an engine teardown, is this correct? thanks!

ps. i will be yanking the gearbox out in a couple of days and will post pics and a step by step game plan for others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Now there may be others who can give you a better answer but I have been told that the rear main seal rarely leaks. What you think is a rear main seal leak is often the cross seals leaking. I just did both in my truck.
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
ok, can the cross seals be changed then? i just have that slight leak in the back that in other vehicles i had was the rear main leaking. i want to address it while i have it apart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:20 PM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
thanks, it looks like the oil pan needs to come off as well correct?
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
yes...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:58 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Yes. Use 'The Right Stuff' on the cross seals and make sure the rear main bearing cap is retorqued before installing the rear main seal.

-Jeff
Hmmmnnnnnn.......I've always torqued after fitting seal, like the book says. Is there an advantage to doing it after?

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2012 09:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Now there may be others who can give you a better answer but I have been told that the rear main seal rarely leaks. What you think is a rear main seal leak is often the cross seals leaking. I just did both in my truck.
They do leak, and I'm not sure what difference it makes anyway as if you could tell. Would you really go in and replace the cross seals and not do the main seal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
A friend of mine is a dealer tech. The only leaks he has had were from torquing it after the seal was installed.

-Jeff
Interesting. I'd suppose that if you didn't have the bearing cap down tight (like it says in the book) but not torqued you might have that issue (when torquing post install). I suppose that said, if the cap is fully seated it shouldn't make any difference whether it's torqued pre or post eh?

I've never had one come back, so prolly not changing my habits yet.........and don't let your friend either. Not sure what Land Rover dealer techs are like in your neck of the woods but the three main dealers in this area sure are good for my business lol. (no hate intended)

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:02 PM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

You're doing the clutch.. might as well do the rear main seal while you're in there. You would hate to go back in for a $10 seal if everyone else was wrong! You are the only one who will know if it leaks or not. To answer your question yes you can.
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:44 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I dont think people would do the cross without the main but I could see people doing the main without the cross.
Old May 19th, 2012, 08:17 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

You can do the cross without doing the main, you would have to pull the pan and rear main cap, the main seal would then just stay in place. Just make sure the RMS is square on the crank and plum to the bearing cap when it gets reinstalled. You can't do the RMS with the gearbox in place, but you can do the cross', you can't do the crosses without the pan off.

Either way they are both basic procedures. If one is willing to dive into pulling a trans and doing a clutch, the RMS and cross seals are cake, just as easy as doing spark plugs, if not easier.

I probably just talked in circles...
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:48 AM
wantone
Rick Thompson
94 ST #1222

Registry
I orderd new cross seals & a main, i figured while i got it apart....

I wish i had it apart simply for a clutch, but the reason its apart is the output shaft splines sheared off & the t case input. So i have a new gearbox on the way from ashcroft....

So if anyone wants a r380 that is in great shape except it needs the mainshaft replaced, i got one....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, motor