Camber problem on 83 non-abs frnt axle - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Camber problem on 83 non-abs frnt axle

Maybe you D-90 guys can help me out with a problem I am trying to correct.
On my 83 RR classic, which would probably be the same as an older non NAS 110.... as far as the non-abs front axle is concerned and in particlar with the swivel balls.
Checking with a carpenters level, all wheels level well with the CAMBER, except my left front wheel.... it is tucked inward at the top of the wheel a good 1/4" to 3/8".

If there is only toe -in toe-out adjus..... and no caster & camber adjus.... How would I correct this.
Recent work done:

all new tie-rod ends
swivel balls rebilt
all new susp. bushi. incl the panhard
front sprgs are OME HD 3" lift
tires are 34" super swaps (bais) on series steel wheels

cannot figure out what is off... can some part of the axle be bent?

Thanks in advance,
Luis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2009, 12:17 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sounds like the axle housing tube may be bent.
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:20 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I've noticed that on all the trucks I've had and seen. Assuming you mean the left when looking at the vehicle from the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

It's the driver's side, right!
I could live with it, however my tires don't feel the same way with wear!
The wobbling is the most annoying thing!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest
I've noticed that on all the trucks I've had and seen. Assuming you mean the left when looking at the vehicle from the rear.
Do you mean the whole axle housing or do mean something else internally closer to the stub axle?
Other than tire wear , should I be concerned?
How do you correct this?

Thanks,
Luis
Old June 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthng
It's the driver's side, right!
I could live with it, however my tires don't feel the same way with wear!
The wobbling is the most annoying thing!

Follow-up Post:

Do you mean the whole axle housing or do mean something else internally closer to the stub axle?
Other than tire wear , should I be concerned?
How do you correct this?

Thanks,
Luis
Find a speed shop alignment service. They can be hard to find but once you do, they will bend it back for you. It's left on the rig so it is pretty cheap. Usually, shops that offer weld on trusses will know someone that can do it. I had it done and it was something like $100 for the alignment.

Edit: Then don't jump it anymore!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:13 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Find a speed shop alignment service. They can be hard to find but once you do, they will bend it back for you. It's left on the rig so it is pretty cheap. Usually, shops that offer weld on trusses will know someone that can do it. I had it done and it was something like $100 for the alignment.

\

You are not the first person to recommend this so I will pursue this option.
I have done this on a class 8 commercial tractor that I owned.... but they were bending a simple I-beam axle with kingpins and the ends.
What I would like to know is, what kind of havoc will I be rendering on the internal stub and half shafts? Maybe I'm just not visualizing where they're going to do the bending on this axle.

Thank you Sir,

Oh, I never jumped it.... It must have been that way and never noticed or I have to take my Doctors advice and lose those 50lbs!
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I would just replace the axle case.

I got one here you can have for $40 if you show up and drag it out of the basement.
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah Im with Ron, in fact I was gonna say if you were closer, I have one thats all yours from a '96 disco you can have in exchange for that bent one. I just need somethign to stick under a truck dont care if it smiles or frowns.
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

Wow! that sounds extreme with the axle swap, I'm going to check into my other options but thanks anyway!
The thing of it is, I've done so much work to the front end that I just can't see tearing it apart again!
Maybe I'm worrying about it to much! If I actually keep rotating the Super Swapers I can keep the wear and wobble to a minimum!

I'll keep you posted!

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s

When you said, "don't jump it anymore", did you mean like this guy?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2502446
Old June 20th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthng
Wow! that sounds extreme with the axle swap, I'm going to check into my other options but thanks anyway!
The thing of it is, I've done so much work to the front end that I just can't see tearing it apart again!
Maybe I'm worrying about it to much! If I actually keep rotating the Super Swapers I can keep the wear and wobble to a minimum!

I'll keep you posted!

Follow-up Post:

He looks like he's having a lot of fun!

Back on the subject, the tubes are just too small and made from some pretty poor quality steel. Jumping these rigs in stock form will lead to bending, just a matter of time. Not that you did that of course, sometimes an accident or even hitting a rock at speed can do it too. Good luck on the bend. Just be sure that you get it done cold. Not that anybody would try heating it but you never know.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

Found some thing interesting on google! Second paraghraph! Totally different theory!

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/793
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:38 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

I'm seeing a similar thing and I am wondering if I somehow installed the swivel balls incorrectly. I sent off my swivel balls to be slotted to correct the caster from the other lift goodies and bits. I thought I checked to make sure I was putting them on the correct side of the truck but when I got everything back together, the camber is definitely off. The tops of both wheels are tilted inward noticeably. I'll see if I can get a picture of it and post it up. I know that the axle housing was in good shape before and that there were no camber problems before, so it must be something that I've done. I've rebuilt CV's/swivels plenty of times in the past with no problems, so I'm stumped.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:52 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthng View Post

I was thinking

Old June 7th, 2010, 03:28 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Man that landing had to hurt!

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:15 PM
easy
Dan Duncan
White '94 Disco 1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
I'm seeing a similar thing and I am wondering if I somehow installed the swivel balls incorrectly. I sent off my swivel balls to be slotted to correct the caster from the other lift goodies and bits. I thought I checked to make sure I was putting them on the correct side of the truck but when I got everything back together, the camber is definitely off. The tops of both wheels are tilted inward noticeably. I'll see if I can get a picture of it and post it up. I know that the axle housing was in good shape before and that there were no camber problems before, so it must be something that I've done. I've rebuilt CV's/swivels plenty of times in the past with no problems, so I'm stumped.
Yeah, does anybody have any ideas on this? It seems like if we did put them on the wrong sides it wouldn't affect it like this (although we would have other problems). And I don't think its possible to put them on upside down, right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle